Decoplanner / DPlan from GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am told that one should NOT used the DPlan for the PDA or Decoplanner sold by GUE for the desktop as is. That the stops need to be modified in some manner to properly utilize the software safely.

Does anyone know about this?

This is ripped from http://www.divetekadventures.com/Technical_PyleStops.htm

Here is my method for incorporating deep safety stops:

1) Calculate a decompression profile for the dive you wish to do, using whatever software you normally use.

2) Take the distance between the bottom portion of the dive (at the time you begin your ascent) and the first "required" decompression stop, and find the midpoint. You can use the ambient pressure midpoint if you want, but for most dives in the "technical" diving range, the linear distance midpoint will be close enough and is easier to calculate. This depth will be your first deep safety stop, and the stop should be about 2-3 minutes in duration.

3) Re-calculate the decompression profile by including the deep safety stop in the profile (most software will allow for multi-level profile calculations).

4) If the distance between your first deep safety stop and your first "required" stop is greater than 30 feet, then add a second deep safety stop at the midpoint between the first deep safety stop and the first required stop.

5) Repeat as necessary until there is less than 30 feet between your last deep safety stop and the first required safety stop.

Before planning any sort of deco, I would seriously consider a course in it. If you have to ask about the plan, then you need the course.

Getting information on the 'net which, if wrong, could cost you your life... Well, that's just a really bad idea.

Please talk to a GUE instructor first. Your life may depend on it.

Thanks for the advice

We conducted dives all week from about 220fsw to 240fsw on TM18/40 using tables cut from DPlan .. which is the PDA version of GUE's Decoplanner. We dived Monday thru Friday on the S-16 & USS Wilkes-Barre here in the Fla Keys.

I have used DPlan for several months now and have always used deep stops...I was not aware that this was the special addition to the software that I originally questioned.

Hm.

Guess I'll go back and stuff myself under the rock from which I came. :D

Sorry... Just didn't want to see anyone get hurt.

Isn't there a more reliable source of information? Not that Scubaboard isn't great... But heck, there's a lot of information floating around here, both based in fact and fiction. Lucid's probably right, but what if someone like me got on here and with all good intentions misinformed you? What if I THOUGHT I knew, and gave you that information? What if I was convincing enough to have you believe it?

Ah, well. Sorry I stepped on myself. I have no clue when it comes to this stuff, I just saw a potential problem and was hoping it wouldn't end up with someone hurt. :D

Now where is that rock again? :D

Thanks for not flaming. :)

I really meant no disrespect to you....I was genuine in my thanks for the advice.

The original post I made was in search of anyone who has heard that the software is not used by DIR/GUE divers in the manner that GUE sells it. Sort of like Ford selling a car and saying don't drive this car until you modify it because it is not safe...

Ya see what I mean??/

Capt Jim Wyatt once bubbled...
I really meant no disrespect to you....I was genuine in my thanks for the advice.

Oh, no... None taken. :D Yeah, I see what you were looking for. I didn't realize that you already know this stuff, and in the absence of not knowing, I thought it prudent to say, "Hey... Training's the key!"

I just feel like a dunce for pointing out the obvious. Looks like you've already covered that. Probably many times over. :D No worries, though. :D

I would just hate to see someone suffer from incorrect information. It happens so often that... Well, you know the deal.

Dive safe. Nice website. I think I might have to visit you sometime this summer. I need a Nitrox cert anyway. :D

Thanks for the kudos on the website --

We would love to have you dive with us this summer!!

Wow... My own personal invitation for some of the best diving in North America! Cool!

Yeah, I'm in. I've got a lot to work on first, though... Right now, a "complete lifestyle change" is pretty much taking up my time fully.

But like I said, this summer would be spectacular. I'll stay in touch.

You DO know, too, that if you're looking for new haunts, my door here is always open to you, too, right? Lots to see and do here... :D

'Course, the Keys... Well, they're just legendary. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom