Decompression Theory Quotation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But you can saturate at 1000ATM if you want with no DCS... so long as you never decompress :dork2:

LOL Thanks for giving me the super powers I've always wanted!

Posted via Mobile Device

GUE put out a very good DVD a couple of years ago, called "The Mysterious Malady". It was a series of interviews with the people who have spent their lives studying this ailment, and the bottom line was, "We don't know what causes it." But it took them a lot of words to say that :)

t's all anecdotal, but I do not feel like performing the experiment 25 more times to give you a better scientific stats base or counter your opinion. . .

A Manager, an Engineer, and a Programmer are at a conference held in a hotel at the top of a tall hill. While driving down the twisty roard from the hotel, the brakes in the car went out. Using a clever combination of the handbrake and stomping on the ground outside, the Engineer was able to stop the car without mishap. The three then discussed what should be done. "Let's have a meeting to decide on a project plan." suggested the Manager. "No no." said the Engineer. "I have some paper clips and duct tape, I can just toss the brakes back together." The Programmer, who had been looking at the car, said, "Hey, why don't you guys help me push it back up the hill so we can see if it does it again."

As related by Gabriel Helman

We have a pretty good idea of the relative risk of DCS following various exposures. We must all keep in mind that statistics are for populations and not individuals and be willing to accept the risk of our exposure resulting in an episode of DCS.

Good diving, Craig

I've always liked the 4 states of knowing;

1st state - you know you know
2nd state - you think you know
3rd state - you think you don't know
4th state - you know you don't know

GUE put out a very good DVD a couple of years ago, called "The Mysterious Malady". It was a series of interviews with the people who have spent their lives studying this ailment, and the bottom line was, "We don't know what causes it." But it took them a lot of words to say that :)

I have that one, indeed very good, I recommend it. And for those willling to go a little deeper in the math, try the books of Bruce Wienke, "Technical Diving in Depth" and "Decompression Theory and Application", The video takes a lot of words to tell they don't know what causes it, these books follow similar principals, but instead of many words it uses many numbers to say it is a mistery...

But you can saturate at 1000ATM if you want with no DCS... so long as you never decompress :dork2:

Interesting use of words, very true, let me go a little further...

If you saturate at 1000ATM and don't have to decompress, no problem, but if you have to and don't do it, then you have a problem!!

I think the current best resource on the subject is "Deco for Divers" by Mark Powell. Current, readable, and in-depth enough so that you can really get something out of it.

Back
Top Bottom