Decompression Theory Quotation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowley

Master Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I don't know if this has done the rounds before but it was sparked by a topic in another thread. I have no idea where it came from originally or even who told me, but was something like this:

"If you ask the average man in the street what causes Decompression sickness - the bends - they will say 'I have no idea'. If you ask a diver what causes the bends, they will say 'Nitrogen'. If you ask somebody who knows what they're talking about they will babble about 'compartment saturation levels' and 'M-values' and 'microbubbles'. But if you ask somebody who's devoted their entire lives to studying the subject: 'What causes Decompression Sickness?' they will reply: 'I have no idea'!

Kinda made me smile! :dork2:

Safe diving,

C.

I would think those who know the most freely admit they don't know enough. It's only those who barely understand something that think (and say so) they know it all.

I rely on the former.

As a recovered DCS type I victim, you can only observe and report the events that precipitated it all . . .and the only fact I know to be true is that it hurts like hell. . .

(and it sure don't make me smile :shocked2: !)

It is pretty odd that no matter what diving you do you are potentially steaking your life on a bunch of "best guesses" in this particular matter.

It is pretty odd that no matter what diving you do you are potentially steaking your life on a bunch of "best guesses" in this particular matter.

Oh I don't know...that is called Risk Management. We do the best guess thing every day, several times a day, or somebody does it for us. It is all a game of percentages with the house holding some hole cards that you can't see. Or, another way to say it, when you go when the traffic signal light turns green what are the odds the cross street driver who has the red light will stop? That is your best guess.

As far as I know there is only one thing that is 100% guaranteed.

But if you ask somebody who's devoted their entire lives to studying the subject: 'What causes Decompression Sickness?' they will reply: 'I have no idea'!

What a waste of a life.

The cause of decompression sickness is clear: decompression.

:D

What a waste of a life.

The cause of decompression sickness is clear: decompression.

:D

Actually it is Compression. Because without Compression there would be no Decompression. :eyebrow:

Actually it is Compression. Because without Compression there would be no Decompression. :eyebrow:

But you can saturate at 1000ATM if you want with no DCS... so long as you never decompress :dork2:

As a recovered DCS type I victim, you can only observe and report the events that precipitated it all . . .and the only fact I know to be true is that it hurts like hell. . .

(and it sure don't make me smile :shocked2: !)

Correction -- you can only observe and report the events that preceded it and may have precipitated it. No one knows for sure what precipitated it.

Correction -- you can only observe and report the events that preceded it and may have precipitated it. No one knows for sure what precipitated it.
Buddy ascended and surfaced in control; was okay despite the mistaken & 30% abbreviated deco profile (although I bet he was sub-clinical). . .

Last resort, the ascent is everything Bruce . . .and along with the post-dive exertion, it all precipitated my experience. (It was the final straw-that-broke-the camel's back. . .)

It's all anecdotal, but I do not feel like performing the experiment 25 more times to give you a better scientific stats base or counter your opinion. . .

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom