Decompression Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I started diving in the 80's it was the navy tables all the time, ndl and deco. As my diving changed so did my body, I am not 18 and resiliant anymore. Diving has changed drastically also since then as to what is available to civilain diver/non commercial divers.

That being said, I dove the nitek duo on +2 for a long time. I bought v-planner last year and began to really get into the nuts and bolts. What I found with my nitek duo set at 0 for 32% was indeed a ndl time for navy tables on air. That is way to conservative for my taste.

Now I dive v-planner set at +3 and set the duo to 0 for bailout. This seems to work well for my 43 year old body. Other people get out of the water a lot quicker, but what is the rush at shallow stops? This is how I do it, it does not mean it is right or wrong.

What I am not comfortable with at 43 is dialing back my deco to get the "niggles" and then dialing back up from there. That exercise should be saved for the 18 to 26 crowd, not middle aged farts.

I would also say that divers who cut tables tables and use them are far more disciplined than divers who fly commputers and tables for back up initially. I think it important for each diver to understand ratio's and be comfortable with them before turning your dive plan over to a "puter".
Eric

When I started diving in the 80's it was the navy tables all the time, ndl and deco. As my diving changed so did my body, I am not 18 and resiliant anymore. Diving has changed drastically also since then as to what is available to civilain diver/non commercial divers.

That being said, I dove the nitek duo on +2 for a long time. I bought v-planner last year and began to really get into the nuts and bolts. What I found with my nitek duo set at 0 for 32% was indeed a ndl time for navy tables on air. That is way to conservative for my taste.

Now I dive v-planner set at +3 and set the duo to 0 for bailout. This seems to work well for my 43 year old body. Other people get out of the water a lot quicker, but what is the rush at shallow stops? This is how I do it, it does not mean it is right or wrong.

What I am not comfortable with at 43 is dialing back my deco to get the "niggles" and then dialing back up from there. That exercise should be saved for the 18 to 26 crowd, not middle aged farts.

I would also say that divers who cut tables tables and use them are far more disciplined than divers who fly computers and tables for back up initially. I think it important for each diver to understand ratio's and be comfortable with them before turning your dive plan over to a "puter".
Eric

Excellent comments Eric. I especially like the one "Other people get out of the water a lot quicker, but what is the rush at shallow stops?" It's not a matter of if you can do the dive, just how long does it take to come to the surface safely. A few extra minutes may make a big difference. I'm use to long decompression stops and wouldn't want it any other way. Slow and easy is the best way to ensure survival in the long term. Thanks.

So I guess that you were just looking for someone to give the response you want?

I agree that the post above wasn't called for. I'll thank you for the way you've handled some criticism.

I'm sure you can provide some interesting insight in commercial diving for those of us who don't know a lot about that type of diving.

Actually I'm sorry that I posted up in the beginning that the subject had been beaten to death. That was an impulse response. This thread has actually been very interesting.

What I have gotten out of it is that too many recreational divers these days who go through certification mills and just follow the cattle herd know virtually nothing about whats behind the information provided by their computers. I would suspect that a very small percentage of divers in the recreational market really understand or care about what their computer models are based on. New divers are taught to blindly follow what the computer tells them to do and that's the "new way to dive". Now days if a diver want's to know more about deco theory, bubble models, deepstops, the latest scientific research, they really need to do their homework and dig deep for the info. It's out there, it's just not readily available simply because too much instruction is based on pressing the easy button.

I agree that the post above wasn't called for. I'll thank you for the way you've handled some criticism.

I'm sure you can provide some interesting insight in commercial diving for those of us who don't know a lot about that type of diving.

I appreciate your kind remarks and thank you for your comments on this thread.

Actually I'm sorry that I posted up in the beginning that the subject had been beaten to death. That was an impulse response. This thread has actually been very interesting.

What I have gotten out of it is that too many recreational divers these days who go through certification mills and just follow the cattle herd know virtually nothing about whats behind the information provided by their computers. I would suspect that a very small percentage of divers in the recreational market really understand or care about what their computer models are based on. New divers are taught to blindly follow what the computer tells them to do and that's the "new way to dive". Now days if a diver want's to know more about deco theory, bubble models, deepstops, the latest scientific research, they really need to do their homework and dig deep for the info. It's out there, it's just not readily available simply because too much instruction is based on pressing the easy button.

I guess we are all in the learning mode when it comes to the hazards we face as divers. When you post something, it seems to take-on a life of its own. I wanted readers to reflect on the issues and exchange thoughts and perspectives. Based upon your comments, it seem that it has been somewhat worthwhile. Thanks for your participation and patience.

Why would people be diving Navy tables, when the Navy doesn't use the Navy tables anymore?

Back
Top Bottom