Decompression Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me it used to be V-Planner with +2 conservatism. In V-Planner you can use VPM-B or VPM-B/E. I always used VPM-B.....the difference between the two only shows up with extremely long exposures.

However, with the purchase of a Shearwater Pursuit I now dive Buhlmann with the GF's usually set towards 20/80....GF's variable on dive at hand, of course, but I don't want to be pushing anything. Example, if I know there will be good current on the bottom, then I might choose 30-35/80, or even higher if there is noticeable mid-water current and I have a good deal of deco(I do this in thinking of the newest tests conducted in regards to deep stops w/work being detrimental). The algorithim implemented by the Shearwater is a pretty bare bones Buhlmann, so there's not really any guess-work/approximation with planning on desktop software like you would have with the modified VPM/VGM/Buhlmann on the VR computers vs. commerical, non-VR desktop software.

When I used BT's with a written plan from V-Planner I would also write down my contingency plans on a slate. Instead, today I just get an idea of them via desktop software, fly the computer, and if the computer takes a crap I carry IANTD Buhlmann tables(with optional EAN50+ deco) as backup. I believe the IANTD Buhlmann tables to be more liberal than Buhlmann with 20/80 gradient factors, so I'm not worried about gas planning complications if I had to rely on the IANTD tables.

Extension on the topic: if I'm doing no-deco only diving I'll just use the modified Haldanian run on my Oceanic computer and fly that until I reach my NDL's. If I'm doing deco followed by a no-deco dive, I'll obviously just keep using whatever I was using before, i.e. VPM-B on V-Planner or the Buhlmann on the Shearwater.

Is that kinda what you were looking for?

From what I've seen here on SB these types of discussions can get very convoluted and heated when it's anything to do with tables, algorithms, computers and computer models.
The OP has an impressive list of certificates and quite a history. I'm very interested to follow this thread and see where it ends up and which way it goes. I think a lot could be learned from him.
Maybe it's a little premature to say this exact question has been beaten to death, but give it time.
Let the beating begin.:popcorn:

For cutting tables. I use V-Planner or MV Plan. MV Plan is a dive planner that does OC or CCR planning using Gradient Factors.

I dive a Shearwater using a GF of 30/85 (which is the default), and usually dive my computer, and keep the table as a backup.

From what I've seen here on SB these types of discussions can get very convoluted and heated when it's anything to do with tables, algorithms, computers and computer models.
The OP has an impressive list of certificates and quite a history. I'm very interested to follow this thread and see where it ends up and which way it goes. I think a lot could be learned from him.
Maybe it's a little premature to say this exact question has been beaten to death, but give it time.
Let the beating begin.:popcorn:

These kinds of responses do little to keep things on track. Complaining doesn't help or give an answer to the OP. It merely sets the stage for offtopic conversation.

I use the NAUI RGBM Deco Tables.

V Planner +1 conservatism and I set the max ppo2 at 1.3 for the dive and 1.5 for deco. I'm not doing deco on 100% yet. Planning on Adv Nitrox and deco procedures to do so after the first of the year. Right now max deco mix I'm using is 40%. Playing by the rules.

This is funny but doesn't even make sense. Surely someone asking if you know what table your algorithm is based on rather than asking what algorithm your table is based on is not a question that has been beaten to death...or even beaten:wink:

To clarify:

1. Many algorithms were used to create the DCIEM Model
2. The Aladin and Monitor dive computers are based on the DCIEM Model
3. Other algorithms were used to make up the DSAT Model
4. The EDGE and SkinnyDipper computers are based on the DSAT Model
5. Other algorithms were used to develop the VPM-B, VPM-BE Models
6. These Models have been combined into the Liquivision X1 tech computer.

Again:

Which decompression tables do you use? If you use a computer, are you aware of the Table in-which the computer algorithms are based?

Do you build any "fudge factor" into your bottom times? If not, why not?

Do you know how the Table you use compares with others?

Last edited:
I've noticed questions surrounding DCS, Decompression Tables and "Which computer do I buy?" I suppose I thought that it might be worthwhile to promote some discussion on the topic and for the openwater/advanced diver to better understand that not all tables or computers are created equally.

Different certification organizations push their own brand of table. Some Tables have a higher degree of safety than others. It's the same thing for a diving computer. I believe that any diver should be informed about the tables or computers they use.

All too often, dive store employees have absolutely no idea about what they are recommending / selling, so it sometimes comes down to "I'll take the one with the round dials." I just thought that discussion may promote education.

People say what they use, but why are they using it? Or is this of little consequence?

Which decompression tables do you use? If you use a computer, are you aware of the Table in-which the computer algorithms are based?
I create decompression tables using DPlan, on my Palm Pilot. I am not aware of the details of the ZHL-16B algorithm that it is based on.
Do you build any "fudge factor" into your bottom times? If not, why not?
No. I have no quantitiative basis to build in a fudge factor. To do so would be arbitrary.
Do you know how the Table you use compares with others?
No. Having made these responses, I shoiuld also note that I do not dive solo. So, when 2-3 of us are planning a decompression dive, we will generally create decompression profiles using several different programs - V-Planner, DPlan and DecoPlanner - and compare them. We seldom find the total time varies by more than a minute or 2. (One of my dive buddys prefers to use Deco Planner rather than DPlan, which he views as 'too simplistic', whatever that means.) We use whatever program allows us to send the tables to a printer, if we have a printer with us. Otherwise we take the schedule with the shortest run time. During the dive, if our computer(s) clear first we stick with the generated tables. If we complete the decompression schedule and our computer(s) has not cleared, we stay until it does. Perhaps, that is our 'fudge factor'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom