Decompression Stop Guidelines - What we have to do if got deco alert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the Sol only shows GTR for the tank you are breathing. If you are on your bottom gas, it does not "predict" across all tanks of deco gasses for a total gas time. When you gas switch, it will show GTR for that tank, and same when you switch again. GTR is a feature for recreational diving on a single tank and is not really useful once multi gasses are involved.

which DC doesnt display the GTR when having a deco obligation
The Perdix AI doesn't - from the manual:

"Why is GTR limited to one tank and no deco?

Currently, Shearwater does not believe that GTR is the proper tool for decompression dives, especially those involving multiple gases."

I believe I said I would use @ two thirds in those circumstances. For a rec dive, I find 10psi/foot is adequate for my thumb pressure, with 600psi min for 60 ft and shallower.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that method before. So at 100' you would surface at 1000 psi? I assume this is using an AL80?

Interesting, I hadn't heard that method before. So at 100' you would surface at 1000 psi? I assume this is using an AL80?
I would start my ascent at 1000psi. That should provide enough gas for me and an OOA buddy enough gas to ascend with a 5 minute safety stop. I've had to donate air a half a dozen times. I normally dive LP120s or LP95s so more often than not, we're ascending because my buddy calls the dive or I've hit my NDL.

Even more interesting, as my wife and I use the same tank capacities (but HP steels). 100s for shallower than 100', 120s if we are going deeper.

It seems like a lot of reserve, but at those tank sizes, I can see still hitting NDL before having to surface due to gas reserve, at least for a regular no-stress dive.

Even more interesting, as my wife and I use the same tank capacities (but HP steels).
Elena manages to put gas back into her tank. If she's diving an 80 and I'm on that LP120, I'll be the one calling the dive due to air.

I had a female student the other day on OW 2, when I called the dive at 50bar she had 120 left. No skipping no nothing.

Damn these women and their non-existent SAC.

I would start my ascent at 1000psi.

That is close to SOP on the trip to Costa Rica I just came back from (Playa Ocotal, Rocket Frog Divers): first diver to hit 1000, we start wrapping up the dive. For the most part the dives weren't quite to 100', but pretty much below 80'.

The funny thing is watching people on a mission to squeeze every second out of every dive. The last few minutes of their dive you can see them obsessing over their SPG or AI PDC so much that they couldn't possibly be enjoying it. My motto is Dive quietly and carry a Big Ass Tank. :D :D :D You're not going to see the whole ocean in one dive, so why try?

I attended a recent Cave Diving conference, where the biggest take away was the concept that we tend to plan for when the dive goes RIGHT, whereas we should be planning for when the dive goes all WRONG!

That captures, in a nutshell, the essential difference between recreational diving and technical diving. I'll be quoting that in the future!

John

Back
Top Bottom