decompression chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ParamedicDiver1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know what the closest decompression chamber is to Athens? Just try to compile a list...thanks!! :eek:)

Methodist Medical Center (Dallas) – [hyperbaric chamber]
Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas – [hyperbaric chamber]
Baylor University Medical Center (Dallas) – [hyperbaric chamber]
Medical City Dallas Hospital – [hyperbaric chamber]
Presbyterian Hospital of Kaufman – [hyperbaric chamber]
East Texas Medical Center (Tyler) – [hyperbaric chamber]

Tyler would be the closest one to Athens.

tyler would be te closest to athens but in reality if a diver is hurt call the local EMS and let them start the chain. Most likely in any case that a diver gets hurt at CSSP or Athens due to distance a bird is going to be called to transport (and for them to keep it as low as saftey(normally 500-1000ft) will allow them and to hoof it). most likely destiniation is going to be baylor in dallas from what i have heard.

i have been to tyler and asked ETMC personal (who run EMS) and that the chamber isnt run all the time as they have to bring in the tech to run it. I have heard that baylor keeps staff for the chamber all the time but i cant confirm that as the email hasnt come back yet that my dad sent out since he works for baylor downtown and is interested in getting to see the facility.

FWIW

Tooth

Thanks for the info. Of course I would not take an injuried diver to any hospital myself...I would let local EMS handle the situation. But it is good information to know to let either the local EMS know or the local medical facility know. ETMC in Tyler is only 36 miles from Athens, it is a Level 1 Trauma Center w/ Hyperbarics, and if I had a diver with possible DCS, I would request local EMS go there...all things considered it is the closest appropriate facility.

Of course if someone got bent in Athens.. well, I don't know how to finish that sentence but you get my meaning.

loosebits:
Of course if someone got bent in Athens.. well, I don't know how to finish that sentence but you get my meaning.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I wonder how long you would have to stay at
20' to need to get bent?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom