Deco Planning Software/App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm currently going through ANDP and it's a LOT of good information. I recently completed the section about planning software. The recommendation is V Planner but I've also heard about IDeco Pro and of course the Shearwater computers have planners built in. I just wanted to get recommendations based on your real life experiences. I do not have Apple, not a knock just wanted to save time. Many thanks.

Decosoft is a paid app on Android and iOS, I tried it next to VPlanner (on my instructors phone) during my DecoPro
(i used the 30 day free trial then, I bought it for 30$ after)

I like the UI much more, and preferred the Buhlmann interpretation in Decosoft

Multideco is very trusted and well known in the realm, I only tried it on desktop (trial)

Subsurface can do planning on desktop version (phone is just logging basically), it’s free and opensource
I mainly used it to look at logs
I haven’t tried it for planning tho

There's also a very neat little android app called TechDeco. I like the simple text output it produces.

MultiDeco on my smart phone and tablet is what I enjoy using.

I also have Baltic on my phone.

ETA: Bühlman ZHL-16C only

VPlanner only runs the VPM algorithm correct? I don’t dive with anyone using VPM.

Multideco running Buhlman ZHL16c is what myself and everyone I know uses. I only have it on my laptop but they make it as a phone app too. Matches up perfectly with Shearwater plans.

Multi deco is popular, but frankly, the app's UI is dated and the usability is so-so by today's standards. I have heard good stuff about iDeco.

Decosoft is a paid app on Android and iOS
Thanks for the pointer -- always looking for new tools. I just tried it, and it didn't do well with imperial units well at first. (There was an issue validating the settings when I tried to edit them, but after switching back & forth to metric a few times & a restart it accepted my edits and is giving reasonable plans. The Best Mix calculator still regards the depth as meters (rather than feet), so I'd verify things before relying on them.) Criticisms: it is awkward to edit settings if you have multiple dives defined (e.g., setpoint, SAC, altitude, etc.) as they are essentially global. It also displays transitions in the deco table, so every other line is fairly useless.

It does have CCR support if anyone is interested in that. One very nice thing for CCR is the concept of "stress time" with an associated SAC, which overrides the typical dual SAC values (initial BO & after the first stop) as needed.

Decobuddy.com if you like web-based
Nope, I get this:
1729533752052.png

as they are essentially global. It also displays transitions in the deco table, so every other line is fairly useless.
Yes that was a bit annoying
and it didn't do well with imperial units well at first.
Oh that sucks, I was lucky and didn’t run into that since I just run metric; but now I have some lost faith (but it’s a one time buy so 🤷🏽‍♀️)
I guess would be good to validate against another tool (always); recently I tried diveprome (web app), but some bailout planning issues reported also recently

It does have CCR support if anyone is interested in that.
Yess! That’s why I went for it as well

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom