Deco dive plan sheet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Most of this came from our Local Dive Shop, ProTech Scuba; I dressed it up and put it in a document form.

I would like some thoughts on how to make it better. Thanks. :)

Attachments

• 20110416 Deco Dive Plan Sheet.pdf
    117.5 KB · Views: 1,480
Throw it away and use V-Planner instead. :wink:

Well, yeah, that's on my phone; my instructor insists on this non-technical, oh-so-last-year manual stuff! :wink:

I did basically the same thing for one of my tech classes, but I made it in excell so all the calculations were done automatically. Well, not all of them, but most of the tedious ones (ie calculating gas used, gas reserve and total gas, etc). It also had deco stops in addition to gas planning.

And it's not completly useless outside of class since it is for RGBM tables, which AFAIK, none of the deco planers use.

Chris

I did basically the same thing for one of my tech classes, but I made it in excell so all the calculations were done automatically. Well, not all of them, but most of the tedious ones (ie calculating gas used, gas reserve and total gas, etc). It also had deco stops in addition to gas planning.

And it's not completly useless outside of class since it is for RGBM tables, which AFAIK, none of the deco planers use.

Chris

Yeah, I wanted to do that, but he ixnayed that, too. He wants to see *me* do it, the old-fashioned way, with nothing but a four-function calculator! :shocked2:

It's SO freaking unfair; that is why I have a couple spare HP-15Cs!

Have you considered an abacus?

+1. Technology is ours for the taking. Expressing it intelligently in excel actually shows a better understanding.

:rofl3:

Y'all are NOT helping!!! Besides, I already whined my fair share to him. He's an HS teacher in his day job, so he is immune to whiny students. :giggle:

Did you see anything I can add to this? I think I need more lines for the deco stops/times.

What are you using for deco tables? I'll be doing my Normoxic class with Dayo Scuba in Orlando, and it's V-Planner all the way, although I'll have to use it to cut tables, and run my X1 in gauge mode during class.

Few comments to get the type of feedback you asked for started:

• Even if your bottom gas something extremely hypoxic, what do you need three different travel gases for?
  • The profile diagram (which is a waste of real estate AFAIC) doesn't match the gas list. There are only spots for 6 stops even though you're listing three deco gases.
  • The ATA chart is insufficient for the gas list. If you need travel gas or more than one or two deco gases, you're probably deeper than 160'.
  • I'm not certain what use a single "Ascent Pressure" figure is for gas-switch diving.

It looks like a "Recreational Dive Log" with some oxtox and gas stuff shoehorned in. Problem is, those logs don't really facilitate detailed dive planning. My humble suggestion is to ditch the attempt to make it pretty, and instead to make it functional.

Gases, depths, times, obligation, reserve, turn pressures, total CNS/OTU, etc.. That's what you need to plan a dive. Those things need to be clearly laid out (rows and columns work well) such that they're easy to both use and error check.

The reference charts are nice, but I wouldn't find them particularly useful in this format.

Things like dive leader, leader #, and the aforementioned profile chart just confuse things. Even the CF to PSI references probably don't belong. I'd keep all my references in one place rather than picking and choosing which ones to add to a planning sheet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom