Deco Chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually I got a good friend who is a boiler maker.That's why I got this idea to make my own Deco Chamber.
Thanks all of you for the information given.
Will be much happy if I still can get somemore information.

ummm yeah, the ole do it yourself chamber.

bad idea.

we built one in the garage, had a little "problem" with rapid depressurization when we took it for a "test dive" to 78 ATA. valve blew and my neighbor, who was our test rider, was blown out a hole the size of a dime.

still haven't told his wife what happened to him.

Hey you guys, pipe down with the sarcasm..........

Jean eve has a serious concern about a pearl diving operation in tahiti if you have been following the posts, so anyone that has real help or advice is welcome to contribute, otherwise STFU....

Jean Eve, if you will allow me to translate the BS into real person talk, I think everyone is trying to tell you that a chamber is not really the kind of thing that you can make in the back yard.

Look around there are portable chambers that may be suitable for your situation, there are even flexible ones that can be tranported on boats or possibly by plane, which if you are in a really remote location like the middle of the Pacific, could be appropriate.

This is also somthing that you could look into government funding for. I know that there are Aid agencies that have helped with recompression chamber projects in Honduras, the Phillipines Indonesia etc etc.

Perhaps someone on the board knows more about this.

I have a friend called ben who can probably help you a lot, I will im you his email address.

The FlexiDeck chamber is a good portable unit and it seems expensive $25,000 bare bones and about $50,000 loaded, but when I looked at them a couple of years ago the price included training and certifying 6 operators.

I would not choose the FlexiDeck unless I needed the portability.

The hard problem is operation and maintenance and this takes money. If you have or can form a company that will own and operate the chamber and that company can develope the income to keep everything running then you have it made. Getting the chamber itself is relatively easy.

Sarcasm aside, there are more than a few people diving in remote locations who have built their own chambers - I recall reading about someone fairly legitimate who built one using off-the-shelf oil pipeline fittings which are, apparently, readily available in the Gulf region. If I was seriously bent in a remote location, and had the choice of delaying treatment or getting in a homemade chamber, I would happily take the homemade chamber, as long as I had some assurance that it had been pressure tested for at least a few cycles without problems, to a pressure higher than I would be seeing.

The plumbing is probably the harder part since it must be designed not only to function correctly, but to provide a high margin of safety against operator error. There are enough other subtleties in building one, like using an approved non-combustable paint on the inside, and dressing anyone going inside in non-combustable clothing, that one shouldn't even think about building one until one has taken a course in how to operate one.

Re the O2 chamber in the link that combusted, O2 filled hyperbaric and recom chambers have been exploding for years, with predictably ghastly results. The solution is simple - don't fill the chamber with straight 02! Most modern chambers are pressurized with air, and O2 masks which dump overboard are used to provide higher FO2s as necessary, so the FO@ in the chamber itself does not creep upward.

This link may be of some help. The family will have the plans for how to make a home made hyperbaric chamber. The design has been built and tested and I am sure the estate will let them go cheap as the designer no longer needs them, or anything else.
http://www.cdnn.info/safety/s040202a/s040202a.html

Are you asking about a pressurized recompression chamber, or a "dry habitat" to place underwater to use to increase comfort for long decompression hangs in the 40-15 foot range?

The habitat is pretty simple... Get a 1-yard plastic chemical container, cut the top off, mount some benches to the sides at the edge of the opening, flip it (and it's steel cage) over and figure out a way to anchor it to establish it's location and depth. It's going to displace a cubic yard of water, so it's going to be about 1700 pounds or 770 kilos positively buoyant.

These get used a lot in caves, but I've never heard of one being used in open water... but open water dives rarely build enough decompression time to make it worth messing with a habitat.

Originnally posted by richlockyer
Are you asking about a pressurized recompression chamber, or a "dry habitat" to place underwater to use to increase comfort for long decompression hangs in the 40-15 foot range?

Asking about pressurized recompression chamber.
But thanks anyway for your DIY 'dry habitat' :wink:

CD_in_Chitown:
I built one out of a 55 gal whiskey barrel, garden hose, double-level pressure cooker, old surgical tubing, one of those bullet proof glass panes from a convenience store, and a pack of Lucky Strikes. All I need now is a hydro-thermal powered vacuum cleaner and I think I've got the whole DCS risk licked.

Long live the mighty DIYer, don't take this naysayer crap literally man. You can overcome all logistics to making your diving safer. I used to buy into that keep close track of time/depth/gas etc and practice slow ascents that included deep stops if I ventured below 60 fsw, but those days are in the past. I dive as deep and long as I want, when it's time to surface I just fill my bc and head up, if that's not fast enough I add gas to the ole drysuit. Last time I was able to exit the water completely and land myself and the double 130s four steps up the swim ladder and one easy stride from the deck.

Yep, having your own recompression chamber is awesome! I wish I'd put the window in a position that allowed me to see the TV though, 8(

:11: :11: :eyebrow:

LMAO ROTF

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom