Deco Bottle Mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyronGanes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am rigging and mounting my deco bottle as described by people all over the web and it doesn't seem to work for me. The top of the bottle hangs really low. I'm thinking I should move the boltsnap closer to the neck? How does this rigging work for anyone else unless their waist strap is much farther away than mine is?

Try a tank choker and use the same attachment point that should lift the stage to a more streamlined position.

I don't remember where, but someone else had said they had a secondary bungee that they would use to secure the neck of the bottle and that it kept it much "tighter" in that config.

<conjecture>
If your harness has two D rings on the left side, maybe you are using the lower one whereas the top one would force the neck of the tank higher? Maybe move the D ring further up?
</conjecture>

both d-rings should be higher, on both sides. the bottom d-rings are for chokers on heavy steel tanks. You don't have those, so ignore them. Clip your deco to the top d-ring after you raise it up to just below your collar bone.

...and ditch the weights on your tanks, and add d-rings to the belt for them to climb onto instead. the details of that are another discussion, but see all the bouncing? that will go away. ...this is also a good video to help you work on your kicks.

Pool work is so valuable, good work! Nice pool too.

I don't remember where, but someone else had said they had a secondary bungee that they would use to secure the neck of the bottle and that it kept it much "tighter" in that config.

This is the configuration I use, I put the bungee cord around the valve knop

If your using bungee, a second bungee run from the back around the neck/valve for the deco bottle should get things back inline. Really try to stay still, get the trim and bouyancy and that'll help with video analysis. Kudos to you for posting actual video.

Firstly.... Sidemount is different to backmount.

That's why you can't enjoy great results using backmount deco configuration.

Rob Neto described a good way of rigging sidemount stages, that's caught on asa deco configuration also.

Bottom band holds a 4-6" 8mm bungee loop to a bolt-snap. Top bolt-snap is held on the cylinder neck with a tight bungee choker. Shoulder D-rings should be higher than backmount.. just below the clavicle. No need for rope/handle along the stage/deco. Bottom bolt-snap connects to the rear waist attachment.

The elasticity keeps the deco/stage tight up against the body and streamlined with the primary cylinders.

There's a technique for best donning/doffing the cylinders. Otherwise people can struggle with the bolt snaps. Use the right technique and it's easy.

That's why you can't enjoy great results using backmount deco configuration.

Meh, there's a certain amount of great divers out there that use them without any problem AFAIK (Thinking of a few guys teaching in Mexico). That way they don't have to re-rig their deco tanks every time they change their configuration (ccr, twinset, sidemount, ...).
I'm not gonna go into a big argument etc etc, but this picture is taken using a regular deco mount, and there's really no problem with it.
150926085149595266.jpg

And the same thing with a "sidemount deco setup"
150926085155861145.jpg

(Credits to: Well, it's written on his pictures. Santiago Diving Mexico)
In other words: it's the diver, not the gear.

So now as to adress OP's problem, I'd say there's other issues before trying to mount a stage on that configuration IMO (weighted flopping tanks), but anyway. That top boltsnap seems to be very far away from the tank. How is the bottom of the tank attached? Do you have 2 d-rings or only 1?

Find someone that knows how to do it, even a 1-day training session with a decent instructor will save you tons of issues in the long run.

top mounting stages isn't what the OP was asking about, top mounting is tricky to learn on your own (especially using robs method), and the majority of divers don't top mount.

And, in FL, stages are often topmounted, but deco (especially if only one O2 bottle) is still front mounted.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom