Decisions on dive computer purchase.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric M

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to throw this out there for you to devour as you feel necessary. I haven't seen any new posts on the topic since my unrelated last post so here it goes.

I want to get a dive computer as presently I do not own one nor have I ever owned one before. I feel I would be wasting money for an entry lever unit but I don't want to buy something that's both enticing and useless at the same time. I'm recently re-certified and for the next 3-5 years I plan on diving 4 or 5 times a year mostly during vacations and perhaps targeted trips to the sea to keep certification current. I'm also Nitrox certified. I fancy wrist based units with air integration technology, but does it really replaces the time tested console? I'm eyeballing a Oceanic Atom 3.1 unit that has great features. Then there is Aqualung i450t unit, which is AL's version of Atom 3.1. These seem reasonably priced and may be good for a long time and have an option to add the transmitter after I get my own reg.

So the questions I have about these units or perhaps other similar ones are, will I out grow these sooner than later? Conversely I'd hate to buy a unit that doesn't have air integration such the Puck by Mares, or the Cressi Giatto/Leonardo, unless the air integration is ahead of it's time.

Conversely, some of the nicer units are out of price range momentarily and I've looked at Aeris A300, and Oceanic VTX A300 (maybe the same as Aeris), or Scubapro M2.

If I do get one that doesn't have all the features and I decide to sell, do these keel their value or are akin to other electronics and loose value as soon as you "drive it off the lot"?

As you have guessed budgetary constraints are driving all of this so I'm trying to balance other gear needs for the rest of family member as well.

Thanks for you posts!

I know wrist mounts and air integration are the thing but I really like the consoles. With them air integration seems of no value and I really don't want to make sure my link is working and put a computer on one wrist and a compass on the other. I like it all to be connected and ready when I hook up the tank.

I have always dived a simple wrist mounted "puck" style on my right wrist, an SPG clipped to a d-ring on my left chest, and if needed a compass on my left wrist. No console, streamlined. My first computer was an Aeris Atmos 2. I recently replaced it with an Aeris A 300 for about $200. Nice large digits and does everything I need.

Air Integration might be convenient for calculating SAC rate or analysing the air consumption according to your profile - I remember an article that some computers can or will be able to do that automatically, or after downloading the dives to a PC. Otherwise it is not of a great value, IMHO. A wrist unit is far more convenient than a console and yes, it can fully replace it. If you plan to do deco dives, it is important that the information is presented in most clean and comprehensible way. The navigation through different views / screens must be simple and intuitive and the buttons should be easy, and not getting pushed unintentionally (like it happens to Mares Icon). Customer support is important and also what type of battery do you want: user replaceable , rechargeable or else. Pay attention that your computer can handle several gas mixes and allows switching gases during the dive. Further considerations might be, whether your computer is compatible with your PC, a Mac, for instance, or what type of strap do you want. Regarding the price - remember, the stingy one pays twice - like me. :) I am about to get a new one and probably will choose among Shearwater Perdix, Seabear H3 or Dive Soft Freedom.

Last edited:
I adore my air integrated wrist computer. All the information I need, a simple glance away. Super convenient, and I've never once had it fail on me.

Of course air integration isn't necessary, and it's not that big of a hassle to clip an SPG to your left hip D ring and check it once and a while. So it falls into the "if you have the money to blow, go for it" category to me. If a few hundred extra dollars isn't a big deal to you, then by all means enjoy it. But if you'd rather spend money on other things just get a simple wrist computer for $200, and clip an SPG to your left.

I really like AI computers. I only own console computers now. I am by no means an experienced diver but the AI wrist computers add a lot of cost for the transmitter. the best advise I can give is to seriously look at your diving needs and what you plan to do in your diving future. You can always buy the transmitter later but that is usually a more expensive route. I do notice that the console or pucks tend to have larger displays than the wrist/watch computers so that might be a factor for you as well. Perhaps you can give a price range you are looking at and some of the more experienced guys can help you choose the correct features that you are needing. Also check out the classifieds on Scubaboard as a used computer can save you a ton of hard earned money.

I have to say that, as a new diver, I bought a Cressi Giotto which is a great computer but I am in the process of considering an upgrade to it.

There are a number of reasons:
1) Readability of the screen - we dive in dark, often pea green water a lot of the time so a bright colour screen would be better than the grey screen on the Cressi.
2) Size - while I can manage to read the Cressi without any issue, bigger is probably better for readability.
3) AI - will probably go down this route as it would be nice to have everything visible on my wrist. Would probably back it up with an SPG anyway "just in case" of a disconnect.
4) integrated compass - while not needed, would again be nice to have
5) Choice of algorithm - can make a difference depending on future diving needs.

While you have been away many dive boats are requiring computers. You'll find you may be forced to rent one if you don'y have one. New divers are being taught computers instead of tables. And if you know what a wheel is you are showing your age.

Personally, I like a air integrated console. All the benefits of air integration without the problems of a wireless transmitter. If nothing else, the transmitter is another battery to maintain and something to flood. I use an Oceanic Pro Plus. Its large with big numbers and everything can be on a single screen. I can clip it to my BC and read it without using a hand. This is nice when my hands are busy with a camera.

You might be looking at dive computers the wrong way if you think entry level computers are a waste of money. It might seem logical to assume that as your dive skills improve, you'll need a more complicated computer to keep up with you. But that's not really true.

Dive computers are like cars: there are basic, inexpensive models, there are expensive "full featured models, and everything in between. But just as all cars will perform their essential function (get you from one place to another), so will dive computers. And just as with cars, you should consider what extra features you need and how much extra you're willing to pay for them.

Some people never use a dive computer, some use an entry level computer for many years, and some people make full use of all the extra features on their top-of-the-line computer. Figure out what features you want, how much they're worth to you, and choose a computer accordingly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom