Decisions, decisions - where to certify?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BalekFekete

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Story is this - my wife and I went through our OW certification last summer followed by a pair of dives in Bermuda and St. Maarten from a cruise. Needless to say, we loved it. Whether it be genetic, by osmosis off my constant loving on the hobby, or what...now the kids are interested in getting their certifications.

However, logistics make it a bit interesting. All our kids are adults (18 and 21 living with us, 23 in WPB Florida). Our eldest works at Four Seasons and has the potential for setting up free lodging anywhere they have a resort. We also have points to travel 4 down to Florida, or 2 to Hawaii or outside the country.

So my question for the boards is this - I'm interested in potentially combining a family vacation trip with their certification. At a mimimum the OW dives where the classroom work can be done online, and perhaps do pool dives locally if the referrals aren't too much more money.

Where would you look to? Obvious choices are
  • Florida either in the WPB area or keys
  • Somewhere in the Caribbean - Bonaire, Curacao, or the like
  • Mexico/Coz
  • Hawaii
  • somewhere else?
Any feedback is very welcomed! TIA!

Story is this - my wife and I went through our OW certification last summer followed by a pair of dives in Bermuda and St. Maarten from a cruise. Needless to say, we loved it. Whether it be genetic, by osmosis off my constant loving on the hobby, or what...now the kids are interested in getting their certifications.

However, logistics make it a bit interesting. All our kids are adults (18 and 21 living with us, 23 in WPB Florida). Our eldest works at Four Seasons and has the potential for setting up free lodging anywhere they have a resort. We also have points to travel 4 down to Florida, or 2 to Hawaii or outside the country.

So my question for the boards is this - I'm interested in combining a family vacation trip with their certification, at a mimimum the OW dives. Classroom done online, and perhaps pool dives locally if the referrals aren't too much more money. Where would you look to? Obvious choices are
  • Mexico/Coz
  • Hawaii
  • somewhere else?

BF...

Your LDS will give you a time frame...based on his/her schedule matched with your availability...so you know what your time commitment is going in...

A warm water destination certification is usually four days immediately following your registration...the course will consume your ''one week'' ''hot beach'' vacation...

If your one week vacation is for the sole purpose of getting certified...all well and good...if the week also includes...sightseeing...partying...drinking...late nights...etc...etc...something is bound to suffer...

Absolutely nothing wrong with ''vacation certification''...there are some fine five star operators...great conditions...lots to see underwater...nice warm water...but these courses are usually far more intense than your LDS...the good shops/instructors are usually busy all the time...and their training regime is based on tourists ''short vacation'' windows...

It's a commitment you have to be prepared for...

Best...

Warren

As a minimum use eLearning to cut down on the use of vacation time.
Referral route is extremely worthwhile, that way it should take only 2 days to complete the Open Water section of the course, lots of my students do this, just saves an extra vacation day for more fun stuff.
A referral may work out a few dollars more, but remember "quality" instruction is never cut price and as part of the overall cost of a vacation will probably not be significant.
Choose wisely and above all, ENJOY.

COZ!

Numerous great Dive operators to choose from.
Enough lodging to satisfy anyone’s requirements needs.
An abundance of great eateries to choose from!
Awesome reefs.
Easy to get to from the Eastern Seaboard.
Tequila!

So, you need to stay at a Foru Seasons. Nice, but not compatible with Bonaire, Curacao, Cozumel...
  • Mexico/Coz
  • Hawaii
  • somewhere else?
Palm Beach is the obvious choice: Four Seasons,four free tickets to get there, and some fine diving.
Do the eLearning at home, get a referral for the OW dives.....

So, you need to stay at a Foru Seasons.

Not a must have, just a nice to have. Not even sure if he'd be able to get nights outside of Florida, especially in Hawaii where it'd be their busy season. Imagining they'll be running at near full occupancy.

Thanks to everyone so far for the feedback - very valuable!

Definitely go for the referral option, get all their pool work done locally first. This not only saves the actual time during your vacation, but the pool is so important for working out any "bugs"... issues with gear, weights, skills, and anything else. Having all that worked out for the two kids before you leave for the trip will simplify the trip tremendously. And while on vacation, they will then essentially dive when you dive... but they'll just have a handful of skills to do also.

Find out what each shop will charge. Some shops charge the same for a referral out (i.e. just to handle academics and pool work) as they do for a full OW course... but some (rightfully so) charge less. (And I say "rightfully so" because having done plenty of OW and referrals, the OW dives are about half of the work of the course for the instructor... even more than half if the academics are done online.)

The shop at the warm water end, just handling the OW dives, will possibly charge about the same (or maybe a bit more) as you would have paid anyway for two 2-tank boat trips.

My vote is for Key Largo, but WPB is a close second.

If you are going to try for Hawaii, I'd go for Maui first, followed by Hualalai (Kona) then Oahu. The Maui resort is in Wailea (south Maui) which has good beaches that shops like Maui Dreams Dive Co or Shaka Divers use for checkout dives. With Shaka Doug the "kids: might get "private" lessons - he usually has small groups.Likely there's also a dive operation on-site for shore dives/certification but IDK who it is.

Also the boats for Molokini leave from the Kihei Ramp - a couple minutes away. There's a solid 6-8 good boat operators and some dives can be done as beginner dives or more advanced from the same mooring. New divers stay inside the crater, more experienced at the edges. They leave early - around 6am - which frees up the afternoons for other things.

Similarly on Kona, all the boats leave from Honokohau harbor north of town. Shops are in town for any classroom, pool stuff needed. For diving you check in once then meet at the boat. About 10mins drive. Pop for the Manta Night Dive if you want to get them hooked, it's one of the top 25 dives in the world on some lists.

IDK Oahu well enough to place the Four Seasons but assuming it's somewhere in Honolulu/Waikiki - most shops pickup there.

Lanai is out - they don't have a permanent dive operation on the island afaik. Trilogy supports the Four Seasons but only to pick up divers for trips nearby on their sailing cats.

The Maui resort is obviously very nice - I've been there once during the day. Some good shops/restaurants/golf nearby.

About 45mins. to the more touristy parts in Lahaina/Kaanapali which is more congested. Wailea is very nice since there's several beaches that the resorts/condos front. Also all the beaches are also known shore dives and pretty benign. Not a lot of depth - you have to swim a long way out for much over 50'.

So my question for the boards is this - I'm interested in potentially combining a family vacation trip with their certification. At a mimimum the OW dives where the classroom work can be done online, and perhaps do pool dives locally if the referrals aren't too much more money.

• Mexico/Coz
  • Hawaii
  • somewhere else?

You might enjoy the Philippines, diving here on Boracay is phenomenal and we teach guests from the US, and EU all the time who love the spectacular Corals and 28 Celsius Waters plus the Resort is specifically for diving families. If they do PADI eLearning in advance the PADI Open Water Course license with us is two days - (two whole morning confined water sessions and 4 afternoon boat dives) Fantastic White Beach here on Boracay too for the rest of the family to enjoy while they get their training in...

I got my son certified in this fashion at Divi Flamingo in Bonaire.

I have been to Divi Flamingo 3 times and every time I see families getting certified. Great instructor staff there.

Even the house reef at Divi Flamingo is a treat for new divers.

My son did the maximum amount of online coursework before the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom