Deciding on a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of gear is available secondhand, from people who have decided to upgrade, or move to rebreathers, or get out of diving altogether. Some things are susceptible to wear and damage, and others aren't. Backplates, for example, are difficult to damage unless you run a truck over them. Wings, on the other hand, can be punctured, abraded, or the inflators can fatigue and age. Still, if you are reasonably DIY, used gear can be an excellent purchase, because you can fix minor problems.

There ARE differences in quality. Plates vary in the quality of the stainless, and the degree of finish. Wings are different shapes, and made of different weights and types of material, and are more or less durable. To some extent, you do get what you pay for; but sometimes, the premium is more than the increment in value.

There are so many variables with the plates and wings. You can buy complete systems or you can piece the components together yourself. Deep Sea Supply offers complete setups that are at great prices for the complete rig. My wife and I have three of these, 2 single rigs and one double rig. Oxycheq rigs are popular as well, many people put together their own setup using their wings, with other plates and single tank adapters. I have an Oxycheq double wing with an aluminum plate I made myself. Dive Rite offers some complete rigs with aluminum, and stainless plates. They also have another type of "plate" called a transpac. It's a rigid fabric covered type of plate, maybe an owner of one can describe it better.
Obviously Halcyon, OMS, Golem, HOG offer complete rigs as well.
There are differences to consider, but some things are splitting hairs. Among plates, you can choose stainless steel, aluminum, kydex (Deep Sea Supply), or the transpac (Dive Rite).
The plates have different bend angles, surface finishes, length options (Halcyon, and DSS), and other features such as rubber molded inserts in the webbing slots (DSS). These rubber inserts lock the webbing in place, other plates will use tri-glides to accomplish the same thing. You can also get plates in various thicknesses (Fred T), and with slots for handles along the sides (Hammerhead). You will also have to decide if you want to use a single tank adapter (STA) or use a sta-less design. I believe the Hammerhead plates can be used without a STA, check their site to confirm this.
DSS single tank rigs are designed to be used without a STA, Oxycheq wings can also be used without a STA.
I prefer the DSS design, the STA setups have their fans as well. Just search for more info and debate.
Wings all come in different shapes and amounts of lift. The are made from different fabrics for their outer covers, the inner bladders come in various thicknesses, and are also made from different materials. Halcyon uses a different inner bladder than DSS and Oxychec do. DSS uses a thicker inner bladder material than Oxycheq does.
All of this can be splitting hairs when comparing them. I will say that I prefer the DSS designs, I'll add that I am happy with my Oxycheq wing. I prefer the DSS stuff however.
Some other things you will have to decide on are donut vs. horseshoe.
I happen to have horseshoe wings for doubles and single, my wife has donut shapes for her double and single rig. To be honest it doesn't matter to me one way or another. Search, and you find all sorts of stuff on this.
You'll find that you can get good deals on horseshoe wings, because everyone seems to think that donut wings are the way forward. People sell the horseshoe shapes to buy donut shapes. Be on the lookout for great deals on horseshoe wings.
It really makes no difference to me.
Another aspect of wings are that some have zipper access and others are sewn shut. DSS offers both, their donut wings are sewn shut, and their horseshoe wings have zipper access along the top.
Their inner bladders are very thick, and their outer covers are made from ballistic nylon. Zipper access or not doesn't really matter either.
People often mention that Halcyon is too expensive. Well their stuff looks great to me, and seems worth the price. They're no more expensive than top of the line recreational BC's. Compared to piece-it-together setups that people shop around for and assemble, Halcyon is more expensive. I'd rather have a complete setup from the same manufacturer. DSS has more shapes and sizes than anyone else.
HOG is probably the cheapest complete setup that you'll find. I've never used one, but people seem to like them. I've read that their inflator is slower to inflate than others. Search and see if this is still the case. If you're on a budget and want a complete setup, look into the HOG rig.
No matter what you get, I'd replace the OPV with the DSS one. It's only about $20. Some manufactures have had recalls on their OPV's, depending on who their vendor is.
Just get a DSS one and don't worry about it. Theirs is really nice, and well worth the upgrade. I put one on my Oxycheq wing.

My recommendation, get a complete setup from the same company. I can't think of a compelling reason to piece together everything from different companies. Just save up and get it correct the first time.

Get the correct size wing for your needs. Don't get too big of a wing, keep it streamlined.

There are way too many threads on this, search and you will find.

-Mitch

OMS usually has a good Al plate fairly cheap ($70ish). They will show some wear after 300+ dives and probably need replacing after 1000 or so. I have Dive Rite/ DSS / HOG wings ($200ish should be your price target). Over time you'll find you need different sizes for different things. The webbing gets beat up over time, I replaced mine after 250 dives because it was starting to show small wear tears, probably could have gone another 250 safely, but I fix problems early($40ish w/ hardware). Start with a smaller wing that has the lift you need, not too much more. Get it new and inexpensive, over time you'll figure out your personal preferences. Unlike the previous poster I pieced mine together, and was happy for doing it. It saved me money, and the hours I spent fiddling with it paid off in getting it trimmed out the way I like it. Don't overspend it all wears out except maybe the SS plate. I still recommend Al if you travel much to dive, the airlines keep getting harder and harder to deal with on weight. Start paying attention to your weight with every purchase.

I like Halcyon because of the excellent customer service and warranty. I had an issue with my Eclipse and it was replaced immediately..no questions, no quibble. I find that is worth paying the extra for....

Golem also replaces their wings, no questions asked. Although so far we had to replace one Armadillo sidemout that was dragged miles through Nullabor dry caves and one wing that was shot at :)

You might also consider our Stream backplate for your setup. The Reverse profile stream plate acts as an STA while keeping the gear closer to your back.
Golem Stream Backplate

We have some great holiday deals with Stream plate and G2 adjustable harness
The Best of Golem Gear Harness/BP/Wing combo

More deals here
Golem Gear Annual Holiday Sale

I'm sure things do wear out . . . but my singles rig has well in excess of 500 dives on it. The wing I bought used, and knowing the person from whom I bought it, it probably had a couple hundred dives on it before I got it (DSS wing). The outer fabric covering is a little scuffed, and I have replaced the inflator hose (you can only service those things so many times before they just have to be changed) but the wing still works precisely as it ought. The harness material I replaced not long after I bought the rig, and so far, it has almost no visible wear, except that the color has faded (the black, anyway; the darned blue H's NEVER fade).

Not all wings are equivalent, though -- the boat we were on in the Red Sea had Frog wings, and they didn't vent well. The person who was using one complained bitterly of being unable to vent it, and we thought it was poor technique, until I put her in my DSS wing and she came back saying things had gone MUCH better.

We have the HOG equipment for our student rigs, and it seems to be quite satisfactory.

I tend to recommend DSS for their customer service. Although it occasionally irritates someone who thinks he knows exactly what he needs, Tobin simply won't sell you equipment he thinks isn't suitable for your application. He'll spend the time to gather the data required to KNOW you're getting something that will work well for YOU. Not too many companies do that.

pullmyfinger already mentioned this, but your size/proportions might make a difference when you are selecting a backplate. Quite a few of the brands come in only one size, whereas others make two or more sizes. If you are of "average" build you may be fine with any of them; if not, you may want to look for one of the plates that come in sizes. This may not be a complete list, as I don't know every brand, but I do know that the following come in sizes:

DSS - [-]four[/-] five sizes
Oxycheq - two or three sizes (not sure)
Halcyon - two sizes
Agir-Brokk - two sizes (although not readily available in the US)

Blue Sparkle

Last edited:
pullmyfinger already mentioned this, but your size/proportions might make a difference when you are selecting a backplate. Quite a few of the brands come in only one size, whereas others make two or more sizes. If you are of "average" build you may be fine with any of them; if not, you may want to look for one of the plates that come in sizes. This may not be a complete list, as I don't know every brand, but I do know that the following come in sizes:

DSS - four sizes

DSS - five sizes

Tobin

DSS - five sizes

Tobin

Tobin, does your complete rig special ($460.00) include everything listed on the Single Piece Hogarthian Harness (reg price $58.00) as well as the cam straps and wedge blocks?

His rigs are well thought out, cover a range of sizes and shapes for wings, and sizes and materials for the plates. There's a lot of attention to detail in the thickness of the bladder, outer fabric, and other items such as delrin nuts instead of wing nuts, sta-less design, and rubber inserts in the slots.
I'm a big fan of his gear. All of the extras really add up to being a better product than most. As I've mentioned before, his OPV is a nice touch as well.
His wings are not the usual outsourced stuff offered by other manufactures.
You've got many choices, compare them all and see for yourself.

The good stuff speaks for itself.

-Mitch

DSS - five sizes

Tobin

Tobin,

I am very sorry that I mis-stated what you offer. I was thinking S-M-L plus Long Pattern, which is where I got my "four," but I forgot Extra Long Pattern. :blush: Mea culpa.

Blue Sparkle
(Very glad DSS makes so many sizes, including the small size, which fits me, being a "short pattern" :wink: )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom