Deciding on a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IanLee1521

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just got my Open Water cert and now looking at the gear that I need to get. After diving a friends Halcyon SS BP/W 5 times or so, I'm definitely interested in that sort of a setup, as opposed to a jacket BC.

What I'm trying to figure out is what brand to get, and whether to buy used or new.

I generally prefer new over used, but since there is such a huge price difference I'm not so sure.

The other thing is whether to get Halcyon, Hog, OMS, Diverite, etc etc.. Many choices, and not sure enough of the differences. Most of the divers I know have a Halcyon system of one sort or another, but I've found (for example) HOG BP/W at about 1/3 the cost. Is there any particular advantage to getting one brand over the other?

Thanks in advance!

Best thing would be to try them out. They will each have there own feel, All will do the Job. I personally have the Halcyon Eclipse system and Love it. A few of the buddies I dive with also have it and have same feeling. One of them as well as an Instructor I had use the Diverite tranpac and love it. Hog/OMS/Hollis/DSS all make quality gear. you will hear and read a few differences about the wings and who has better ones etc... As for purchasing used gear it's up to you. I have purchased and sold several things here on the board and have been very happy. Make sure you ask all the questions and look carfeully at the pics of what your purchasing but going used can definetly save some money

What I'm trying to figure out is what brand to get...

myprecious1.jpg

I won't buy anything new from Halcyon because of the ridiculous markup. The Halcyon plates are real real nice, but not worth paying three times as much for.
As far as the plate, It's a hunk of stainless steel, whether it's 15 years old or 15 days old it'll still look about the same...
I'd buy a HOG because they're probably the cheapest, but have great customer service and top notch products. I've got buddies that use their plates/wings, and regs, I use their regs, and drysuit. Great stuff. Not trying to rape you like some of the other manufacturers. The Big H does have some awesome CS though, but again not sure it's worth the premium, same with DiveRite. OMS is not exactly known for it's awesome CS so I avoid them if possible *their slipstreams are the only thing I have bought and will support*

The wing is the real expensive part... Check Northeast Scuba Supply as they have some of Dive Rites last year models on wicked sale right now... Piranha Dive MFG as well as Cave Adventurers are probably the best place for HOG stuff, DiveRightinScuba is good too.

You'll find we're all partial to the brands we dive. I use a Transpac with Travel wing and a Nomad, so I'm partial to DiveRite. I use a lot of HOG products and would consider them highly. I've had bad experiences with OMS so I'd exclude them. Golem Gear has been good to me and they have a great deal on their "Stream Combo". DeepSea Supply has been good to me and a lot of my buddies use their products.
Basically, you can't go wrong with anything, and it's all about what you can afford or justify affording and who you want to support. Your dive buddies can play a big part in that. Bigger doesn't mean better in wings. I have a 27lb wing for singles and a 50lb wing for sidemount. That's from a bathing suit thru a dry suit.

For regs, I've bought my HOG's new because they were impossible to find used. Same with my HOG drysuit. My Nomad was new because I couldn't find an XL-tall backplate to stick on a Nomad for the price that Cave Adventurers gave me, same with my OMS Slipstreams
Things bought used
All of my tanks
Transpac II with travel and Rec wings
Poseidon Jetstream doubles set
Apeks ATX50 singles
Apeks XTX second stages *use on my HOG first stages for sidemount
SPG's
Computers
first Drysuit
wetsuit *was near new bought from a guy that wore it once and didn't fit

I buy used. I can't stand the depreciation, call me cheap, whatever, but with tech equipment, any new gear won't look new for long. You can usually save a LOT of money buying used. A lot of the used stuff on here is people just upgrading to the latest and greatest allowing you to get some great deals. A lot of divers buy all the gear and don't dive anymore, so there's that. With a wing I'd make sure it holds air and doesn't leak, but a plate won't go bad. It's a block of stainless steel, good luck hurting it. Regs are a little different as you may not know the service history, but it's real hard to permanently kill a regulator...

For California diving, I'm especially fond of Deep Sea Supply, mainly because of the ability to add stainless steel plates to take a sizeable chunk of lead off your belt.

Plus, the owner/designer Tobin will talk you through the system and help you determine what you need (as opposed to what you want).

I like Halcyon because of the excellent customer service and warranty. I had an issue with my Eclipse and it was replaced immediately..no questions, no quibble. I find that is worth paying the extra for....

I think my next single tank wing will be an Oxycheq Mach V Extreme 18lb. I value ruggedness and low profile in the wing, because I do lots of squeezing around inside of wrecks.

I have two backplates. A Halcyon Ali backplate and a Custom Divers SS backplate. I LOVE the custom divers backplate, because it is shaped and cut to accept two cam bands for independant doubles. It holds them tight. This makes it great for travelling, where I can go to any dive centre and simply strap on 2x AL80s.

I would definitely advise that you contact Tobin from Deep Sea supply (DSS). He's active here on Scubaboard and doesn't hesitate to help with advice.

New vs Old? I got a lot of stuff from Ebay and it saved me a fortune. You have to know what you are looking for though.

Thank you for all the quick responses!

What are the opinions of new vs used gear?

Good gear is good gear.

Used regulators can be tricky but most of the more durable (or low- maintenance) items stand up for much longer than people tend to use them before they sell. Also, a lot of people buy things that they later regret (because it turns out to be more than they need) and they sell them with little more than cosmetic damage. And the markup on new gear can be absurd.

Especially anything with a blue H on it.

The one thing to look out for is falling into the trap of "too many gadgets". As more people show interest in "technical diving" the quality manufactures are adding a lot of silly stuff that appeals to the newer diver. (There was a time only recreational brands did this)

I would agree you should try different brands and see how you like them.

Then really think about why you like what you like and ask a trusted mentor or two to assist you in considering why you might want something else.

Most likely you will be better off with something else.

The one thing to look out for is falling into the trap of "too many gadgets". As more people show interest in "technical diving" the quality manufactures are adding a lot of silly stuff that appeals to the newer diver. (There was a time only recreational brands did this)

This is very true. It echos what Fisheater says about companies selling you what you want, rather than what you need.

Over the past couple of years, I've noticed a trend for tech-specific equipment manufacturers adding more options to their BP&W systems in an attempt to appeal to the recreational market. These aren't necessarily good options. If I was cynical, I'd say they were just a profit boosting ploy at the expense of ill-informed recreational divers.

Likewise, I've also seen rec-specific equipment manufacturers expanding their lines into the tech market, but with an emphasis firmly on gaining sales through the 'lure' of tech to recreational divers. Just about every manufacturer has some form of BCD branded or named 'Tek', Tech' or 'Tec'... even though those items have no pedigree from technical diving. Again, if I was cynical, I'd say they were just a profit boosting ploy at the expense of ill-informed recreational divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom