Decent internet in cave country?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Talking with a friend about making a trip down to cave country later in the year. I'd work during the trip to extend my vacation time as it's a two day drive each way. I work remote daily on 100mb Comcast internet. My first day of working on 25mb DSL was very painful. I need as close to 100 mb as I can get. Does internet of this speed exist in cave country? I'd prefer to have it at my lodging. Would prefer to be close to Peacock.

Thanks!

I doubt you'll get it close to Peacock. Lake City is probably the only place you'll get speeds that fast. I was WFH on New Years Eve out of the Rum House on a remote desktop connection and it wa sfine, but I don't think I'd want to do a lot of video calls on there

I doubt you'll get it close to Peacock. Lake City is probably the only place you'll get speeds that fast. I was WFH on New Years Eve out of the Rum House on a remote desktop connection and it wa sfine, but I don't think I'd want to do a lot of video calls on there

No video calls, but actual work.

I too have done IT work out of the Rum House. But it’s maybe 15 Mb. And for the 17 days that I was there in February, there were at least two stretches where I noticed the Internet was out, totaling maybe three hours.

The performance was plenty sufficient for my needs, including, like you, Remote desktop sessions. The difference in performance was noticeable, but not disruptive. For me, that’s the price for being in cave country.

For those who don’t know, the rum house is a local house that @Capt Jim Wyatt has available for rent. I’m reluctant to put the link out, because the fewer people who know about it, the easier it is for me to rent when I want to… :)

But seriously, he has been nothing but solid to work with on the couple of times that I have rented his house.

Cave Divers at Rum Island

ETA: for me, cell phone at the rum house is tougher than Internet. The only way I could make sure I didn’t drop a call was to step outside. :-( Again, the price of paradise.

Internet here is slow--when I get 65 down I am ecstatic. 15 up is the norm. Outages are almost daily, 15 minutes or so. I use WiFi calling because 2 bars on Verizon is the norm.....

Country Life...

Internet here is slow--when I get 65 down I am ecstatic. 15 up is the norm. Outages are almost daily, 15 minutes or so. I use WiFi calling because 2 bars on Verizon is the norm.....

Country Life...

Ugh.

wifi calling is 100% required at the Rum House, I actually turned cellular radios off when I was at the house because it was annihilating my battery life, welcome to cave country!

wifi calling is 100% required at the Rum House, I actually turned cellular radios off when I was at the house because it was annihilating my battery life, welcome to cave country!

I use wifi calling at home in the Chicago area as I only get two bars with AT&T.

Is it still in 3G?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom