December '05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date:12/18/05
Dive Location:Heisler Park, Laguna Beach
Buddy(ies): Rick, Josh, David, & Johnny
Time: 9:10AM
Bottom Time: 22
Max Depth: 26 FSW
Vis: From 2 - 10
Wave height: 3' - 4' maybe more
Temp at depth: 56 F Versa Pro Computer
Surface Temp: 58
Tide information: getting higher on exit
Gas mix: 33% 02 EAN
Comments: Entered surf between breaks. Swam to the South a bit and dropped down near a reef. Poor viz at beginning and it just got worse. Some surge. Sea life wondering what the hell we were doing there. However, it was fun. I enjoyed it. Good dive overall. David found a small shark that we all terrorized, rode, and irritated. I think David has the video, we just have to find a shop to put it on their website… :D

Kevfin:
David found a small shark that we all terrorized, rode, and irritated. I think David has the video, we just have to find a shop to put it on their website… :D

:rofl::lol:

Saturday, December 17th

San Clemente Island

Three Dives:

Pyrmid Point/ Fish Net; Hawk Point; Fish Eye

Viz: 80-100+

Max Depth: 75'; 130'; 65'

Water Temp: 54-52 degrees Suunto

Beautiful dives; wonderful conditions; great people. The end of a great era for one of the best boats around 'THE ENCORE' She will sorely be missed.

Date:12/18/05
Dive Location: Shaw's Cove, Laguna
Buddies: Jeff, Craig, Scott
Time: 7:05 am
Bottom Time: 32 min
Max Depth: 46 fsw
Vis: 5-15', depending on location
Wave height: 2' to 3', occasional 4'
Temp at depth: Aeris 56F
Surface Temp: 58F
Gas mix: Air 21%
Comments: Enjoyed a blazing sunrise just before entering the surf. Waves were small but a few packed a punch. Finned casually out to the end of the reef, poking around in the nooks and crannies. Our efforts paid off - saw three morays and an octo. Vis was about 5 feet at the end of the reef, and the 15 foot vis we had on the way out was declining fast as we worked our way back. Surge was also starting to kick up, so we called the dive early. A short dive, but a GREAT dive - those morays were awesome!

The swells have finally calmed down so I decided to try a dive.

The wind was calm and the swells were 3-4ft but just rollers so it was pretty calm.

I dropped into the water about 7pm and decended to 125ft.

When I got to the bottom there was ZERO vis!!

From the predictions it shows the big swells returning in a few days again =(

scubapro5:
The swells have finally calmed down so I decided to try a dive.

The wind was calm and the swells were 3-4ft but just rollers so it was pretty calm.

I dropped into the water about 7pm and decended to 125ft.

When I got to the bottom there was ZERO vis!!

From the predictions it shows the big swells returning in a few days again =(
Hey Roger,

Good to hear from you! Hope we get to see you and the family in 2006.

It's amazing that at 125 ft. you had ZERO vis! Was it that way throughout the entire water column or did it just go to zero when you arrived at the bottom?

Christian

Echoing Rogers report...

Made a dive to Murry Head at La Jolla today. Top looked good, but the deeper we went the worse it got. At 190 there was MAYBE 3-5ft and pitch black. Short dive but at least it was a dive.

Terry

Hey Christian

The top 30ft on the way down there was 10ft vis and got worse as I went down. At the bottom there was zero vis. I couldn't even see the bottom structure with my 30 watt light pointed point blank to the bottom.

I ran into some structure and had about 3ft vis about 8ft off the bottom.

There is alot of water movment at the bottom and its really stiring things up.

scubapro5:
Hey Christian

The top 30ft on the way down there was 10ft vis and got worse as I went down. At the bottom there was zero vis. I couldn't even see the bottom structure with my 30 watt light pointed point blank to the bottom.

I ran into some structure and had about 3ft vis about 8ft off the bottom.

There is alot of water movment at the bottom and its really stiring things up.
Wow! So, I guess you could say that the conditions are exactly the opposite of when we have a red tide. There's no bad smell, but you can only see something above 30 feet... where there is nothing to see. :11:

May you and divinman have infinitely better vis over the next few days. I'm hoping that I can dive somewhere on Monday and actually see something.

Take care.

Christian

Christian, we have a growing group attempting to brave the waters of Marineland at 8:00 tomorrow morning. If we can see at least two feet I might be back there Monday morning as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom