December '04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We try to go out on Tuesdays. Sometimes Wednesdays! Always bring your gear with you to work on Tuesdays!

I dove wet and it was fine. 59 degrees! A 2nd dive may have been cooler though.

ShakaZulu:
Yes Terry, we don't all have dry suits..........but I will try next time. Where do you guys post info on these dives?? Next time I want to dive with you and look at everything you see. I've never seen those pipe fish. Nice Nudi's.

Uck...went to Long Point, PV today, at 9:00 am, with HBDiveGirl...Yuck...thanks for having a great dive buddy, otherwise I would not have dove....I also broke my mask right before entry and she saved my $%@ by having a spare mask in the "Dive Mobile".

I just got back from 80° waters in Roatan....and I jump into this...am I crazy? Don't answer that Claudette. The viz was 7.5 feet...I know this because I opened my XMas gift early and Santa brought me a depth finder....which can also double as a viz gauge. &.5 feet is just enough viz to see your dive buddy....and a tiny halibut...and a pipe fish...and some playful octopus...so all in all, not such a bad dive.

other info:

Viz: 7.5'
Depth: 47'
Bottom Time: 1:03
High Temp: 60°
Low Temp: 54°
Conditions: Strong northern current.

Dive California:
The viz was 7.5 feet...I know this because I opened my XMas gift early and Santa brought me a depth finder....which can also double as a viz gauge.

OK, I give, how does the depth finder gauge viz??

Jennifer

sapphire:
OK, I give, how does the depth finder gauge viz??

Jennifer
You see a rocky outcropping in the distance. You point the depth guage at it and voala...you have your horizontal visibility!!!

Terry

divinman:
You see a rocky outcropping in the distance. You point the depth guage at it and voala...you have your horizontal visibility!!!

Terry

OK, that much I got... I thought he meant you could just point it out into oblivion and it would bounce off the heavy plankton in the water and come back and tell you the viz was sucky...

See how much I know about these things?

jen

sapphire:
OK, that much I got... I thought he meant you could just point it out into oblivion and it would bounce off the heavy plankton in the water and come back and tell you the viz was sucky...

See how much I know about these things?

jen
If vis is bad enough, i just extend my arm till i cant see my hand......

T

Dive California:
I just got back from 80° waters in Roatan....and I jump into this...am I crazy?
Yes, in the most delightful way possible....'cause YOU'LL ALWAYS go diving. One-Hundred-Dives-a-Year is not something that happens to overly sane people!
Dive California:
Don't answer that Claudette.
Oops...too late...I don't always take direction well....
Dive California:
The viz was 7.5 feet... just enough viz to see your dive buddy....and a tiny halibut...and a pipe fish...and some playful octopus...so all in all, not such a bad dive.
....and dozens of 12" tall sea pens, and painted greenlings, several Flabellinopsis iodinea, scallops, lobsters, sea pansies, coon-striped shrimp, rainbow sea perch, giant feather duster worms, juvenile sheephead, ghost gobys, zebra stripe gobys, Catalina gobys, 5 colors of sponges, and the rest of the usual gang of watery California characters. (We always find fun right where we look for it.)
Thanks for another memorable dive!

Date: 12/22/04
Dive Location: Veterans Park, Redondo Beach
Time: 7:20 PM
Bottom Time: 46 minutes
Max Depth: 80 ft.
Vis: 30 ft.
Wave height: small
Temp at depth: 57
Tide information: High

Met up with the gang from DiveVets http://divevets.com for our weekly night dive and pub crawl. The squid boats were back last night and the harbor patrol was busy ensuring they stayed at the legal distance from shore.

7 of use dropped into the canyon looking for squid and whatever else we could find. Lots of sea pens, baby halibut, scorpion fish, small horn sharks and Corona bottles. We finally spotted a single squid (makes you wonder why the squid boats bother coming out). We were lucky enought to catch it just as it was laying an egg into the exsisting egg mass. Very cool.

A small bounty of dive gear was also found, including a mask & snorkel and part of someone's rescue diver training slates. Fun dive as usual.

For those that are interested, a small group of DiveVet'ers will be doing a Xmas morning "Pagan" dive at Veterans Park. 8:30am I believe, check the site to confirm.

Did my 100th logged dive this morning at Crescent Bay. Conditions were great with 20-25' visibility and lots of life out. It was like a fish nursery out there today and the near shore water was gin clear and you could see tons of life in the shallows.
This was primarily a skills practice dive, as Peter is still working on trimming out his new double 80's, but we did enjoy some exploring since the conditions were so good. This is definitely a great time of the year to be in the water as conditions have been great recently and I have pictures to prove it!
Dive stats:
Dive time: 8:30 A.M.
Tide: High on its way out
Water temp: 59 degrees at depth 60 degrees on the surface
Vis: 20' and better in some places
Run time: 48 minutes
Max depth: 47'
Dive team: Peter L and me

Dive safe,
dive often.
Robb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/