Debating getting a wrist computer, pros and cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For easy and non challenging rec diving (air and nitrox) I use a wrist mounted Suunto Vyper, a casio Pathfinder watch and a SPG. For challenging rec diving and/or tech diving I use wrist mounted Shearwater Predator, wrist mounted Suunto Vyper (in gauge mode), casio Pathfinder watch and a SPG.

Ok...we are not understanding each other...Air Integrated usually means hooked on the HP hose and providing both functions; dive computer and SPG. If this one fails for whatever reasons, you lose all functions.

Here is the definition I found on the net at Ehow

"An air-integrated dive computer provides valuable information and safety data to a diver underwater. These types of dive computers can be attached to a high-pressure hose or worn like a wristwatch, using wireless technology. "

So it seems we were working with different definitions. This is the one I was thinking of.

An AI computer can still function as a computer if the AI link is lost due to loss of signal, fault of the computer, or loss of transmitter function. All you have lost is your pressure reading. If you have the hose mounted or wireless.

As with non AI computers a total shut down or failure will result in the computer being extra weight your hauling around either on the end of your hose or your wrist.

I debated this same purchase a while ago. Was looking at a Suunto D9 VS Atomic Cobalt. I ended up going with the Atomic Cobalt for several reasons - Mostly I determined that I did not want to wear a dive watch when I wasn't diving, and it was something that I was likely to lay down on the boat and forget when taking wetsuit on or off, etc. Also I like to lobster and I was concerned that I might scratch a watch based computer. My wife actually had a past experience where she lost a rather expensive watch while diving, so that was added to the equation as well..I guess for me it was just one more piece of seperate equipment to fall off or lose. The way I have my Cobalt set up on my BCD its just as convenient as a wrist watch, and the display is large enough to always be legible. I did some night diving with it and it was fantastic.

When I have seen WAI computers lose signal, the display is blank, not showing any data. Perhaps not all same, same?

After re-reading all of the posts, these would be my takeaways if you want a wireless AI computer:
1. Have an spg too (enduro says keeps his in his save a dive kit), I'd like mine on the dive so I know exactly what my remaining air is.
2. Many also use and/or recommend a second computer or bottom timer - which I also support (second computer).

3. AI wireless computers are best suited for recreational only diving.

All this said, the original poster, used the words "cost efficiency" to describe his rationale for the purchase. To me cost efficiency would be two Non -AI computers and a SPG as these could be had for the price (or less) of the AI wireless alone. Should you go Tech at some point, one of these could be used as a bottom timer. Of course that's just my opinion.

Get a puter. Whether you get integrated or not, it's the way to go. Forget about laminating tables.....has anyone explained about the limitations of table to you? Tables can't recalculate, hell, they don't calculate....differences in depth. Meaning, most of the time you don't stay at one depth. A puter recognizes it and constantly updates info. Not important for a one tank dive esp a newbie. But there is a depth guage and safety stop countdown which is. And as you progress, you'll like knowing what's what on surface intervals

halemanō;6038618:
When I have seen WAI computers lose signal, the display is blank, not showing any data. Perhaps not all same, same?

I don't think all the same. My memory is having trouble grasping it, but I am pretty sure when mGalileo lost signal (momentarily) "loss of signal" only flashed at the bottom line of data where I have PSI. Also, I am pretty sure my computer worked before I linked it to the transmitter. With mine at least, the transmitter on the HP port only transmitted tank pressure.

Excuse my small hijack of the thread. Splitlip what do you see a normal heart rate doing on a dive. Same as shore stuff, higher, lower? Thanks
The Galileo has three screen display modes. I Use the "Light" which posts the least data, but the minimum I need for rec. Depth, dive time, RBT and tank pressure in big numbers. So, I never payed attention to my heart rate. I could if I downloaded or used all the log functions I suppose..but. What the thing does is to monitor respiration and heart rate and if it thinks you are experiencing an increased work load, it adjusts the RBT..and tells you. Also tells you when you are approaching DECO, or a possible problem with remaining gas..and should you go into deco...the screen changes to one with more data. I think...the default base heart rate is 100, but it is user adjustable.

I'm on the fence about plopping down a bunch of money for a computer with AI and debating whether or not its worth it. . . .having a wrist computer would be far more fun to play with and easier to travel with than taking a console spg.
The two choices you refer to - wrist vs. console, and AI vs. non-AI - are personal, and there is no one best selection applicable to everyone. I reside on the side of the fence characterized by 'wrist computer', and 'AI as a matter of convenience but never as a primary source of pressure'. Personally, I much prefer the flexibility of a wrist unit compared to a console-mounted unit, as I dive with several different regs, and several different computers. I don't ever wear a dive computer as a watch (I don't wear a watch anyway, time is available on my cell phone), I have never lost/misplaced a wrist computer on a dive boat, and have never damaged one by putting gear on top of it. In fact, I like being able to take a wrist unit off after a dive and stow it in a Pelican case for safety, and security. As you note, you can 'play' with a wrist unit or review dive data easily, without having to deal with the reg, and hoses, or even a disconnected console. Underwater, I like being able to simply look at my wrist for depth and time data (and possibly air pressure), as I usally dive with my hands together in front of me and checking data requires little more than a glance or slight wrist rotation.

As for AI, it is a luxury and a convenience, and I have been willing to pay for it, but it is not essential by any means. My primary source of pressure information is always a SPG clipped to a hip D-ring. But, I like the convenience of monitoring backgas by glancing at my wrist, whether diving single tank recreational or back-mounted technical (for sidemount, I have two SPGs to monitor, I see no point in attaching the transmitter to one of the regs, so the wrist unit gives me time and depth, not pressure). Having said I like the convenience, I should also note that my preferred wrist computer (Liquivision X1) is NOT AI, and if I don't happen to wear the AI computer (Suunto Helo2) on a dive, I really don't miss the AI function - it is strictly a luxury, as indicated.

Regarding two of the comments in the thread: 1) I have never understood 'air integrated' to exclusively refer to (only) a console mounted, HP hose-connected, computer. 'AI" includes that as well as transmitter-linked wrist units; 2) there may be AI wrist computers that lose all display when the signal from the transmitter is lost, but I am not personally familiar with any like that. Suuntos do not do that (they simply flash a warning that pressure data are not available), and I would never have a wrist computer that did.

My two cents...

If you chose a computer, whatever way you decide to go, make sure you include the growth potential of the computer as well as your growth potential as a diver.

I am in the process of researching the purchase of a new computer (cost is not a limiting factor) because my first computer is a console, air-integrated Suunto Cobra. The cobra is pretty basic but the functions stop there. I am now getting into Nitrox and hopefully tri-mix diving in the future and want something I can store dive profiles so when I change from Nitrox to air the process is seamless.

Again, just my two cents...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom