Death of rookie diver could have been avoided

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, I am not trusting of media accuracy at all. But, good God. If this is accurate, is there any where on this poor lady the instructor did not place weight? Rocks in pockets and ankle weights... Did he dip her hands in wet concrete as well? And, the last time I checked, dry suits are hooked up to a gas supply and you need a separate course to learn how to safely operate them. How on earth is a person doing a "try dive" even wearing a dry suit? I sincerely hope this is another case of a totally inaccurate media report, because if it isn't, this is the most horrible instruction related accident I have ever heard of.

If that figure is correct its impressive underweighting to start with. Ive never managed to get anything like that amount of rock into a BC pocket.

Still far from uncommon to find a first timer underweighted on the bottom despite a weight check by the time they've started full lung breathing and so on. Worse if they're kneeling and keep floating off.

Im assuming from the report this person had a belt too which is ditchable - if the weight was anywhere near then getting rid of that alone would cause positive buoyancy without having to dump rocks.

Are there some Scottish divers here? Where in Oban did this occur? Very sad story. Lovely seaside town.

Cheers,

X

This happened in Gallanach Bay right outside the Puffin Dive Centre, although I must stress that this dive was not related to Puffin Dive Centre in anyway.
They were , however involved in the attempted resusitation.

This happened in Gallanach Bay right outside the Puffin Dive Centre, although I must stress that this dive was not related to Puffin Dive Centre in anyway.
They were , however involved in the attempted resusitation.

Thank you so very much for the info.

I know this area and have visited the good folks of Puffin Dive Centre a few years back.

Very sad. I wish the rescuers, and the family of the decedent my condolences.

X

I could not agree more that newspapers invariable sensationalise for the sake of a story, but in this case the truth is stranger than fiction.

If you cut and paste Lynn Herriot Enquiry into Google the first entry should be the judgement from the Fatal Accident Enquire held in Oban, Scotland.
(Note this is now of public record)

hello,

just wanted to drop this link in as people mentioned not liking "facts" from the media - A ENQUIRY UNDER THE FATAL ACCIDENTS AND INQURIES (SCOTLAND) ACT 1978 INTO THE SUDDEN DEATH OF LYNN HERRIOT v. , 19 November 2008, Sheriff W. Douglas Small thats the report from the sherif preciding Douglas Small.

Also note a scottish dive forum refused to log the news article covering this incident in case it "caused embarrassment" to ssac.

In the interests of impartiallity please also find the response from ssac - http://www.scotsac.com/PDF-downloads/board/ScotSAC-response-to-FAI-issue.pdf

Cheers

Elaine.

hello,

just wanted to drop this link in as people mentioned not liking "facts" from the media - A ENQUIRY UNDER THE FATAL ACCIDENTS AND INQURIES (SCOTLAND) ACT 1978 INTO THE SUDDEN DEATH OF LYNN HERRIOT v. , 19 November 2008, Sheriff W. Douglas Small thats the report from the sherif preciding Douglas Small.

Thanks for the post!

I'm a little unclear about SCUBA instruction in Scotland. Was the "instructor" and actual instructor, with the ability to issue recognized C-cards (BSAC/CMAS/etc.), or just a diver with the SCUBA club?

Is it traditional for SCUBA certification in Scotland to have actual written standards and practices, and is it allowed to shovel someone into a drysuit and take them into open water without actually going through all the skills in a pool first?

Terry

It says that the instructor dropped his weights to try to get them to the surface, and then couldn't retrieve her because he had no weight. Not being there, I can't say this wasn't reasonable, but all the rescue training I've had says to "drop the victim's weights" not yours. Even with 12.5lbs of rocks in her pockets, dropping her lead should have made her pretty bouyant.

On another point: I will not do "try scuba's" in OW. I will only do them in the pool. Perhaps if I lived/taught in the Caribbean I'd consider it. But not in cold water.

hello,

Also note a scottish dive forum refused to log the news article covering this incident in case it "caused embarrassment" to ssac.

In the interests of impartiallity please also find the response from ssac - http://www.scotsac.com/PDF-downloads/board/ScotSAC-response-to-FAI-issue.pdf

Elaine.

The person writing that report certainly seems to enjoy instilling requirements upon people...:shakehead:

On another point: I will not do "try scuba's" in OW. I will only do them in the pool. Perhaps if I lived/taught in the Caribbean I'd consider it. But not in cold water.

We also do them in the pool. In the shallow end. With someone watching.

I can't think of many SCUBA activities that are scarier than "Try SCUBA" in open water in Scotland. (nothing against Scotland, however the water doesn't seem friendly for untrained divers)

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom