Death of rookie diver could have been avoided

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thoroughly confused.

The official inquiry says that the sisters took up diving in November/December 2005 - several months before the accident. The description continues to indicate they had has 12 weeks of training, but not yet completed snorkel training.

12 weeks and not yet completed snorkel training???

It's been years - but my recollection is that my training was done over two weekends (4 days), in the pool in full gear on the second day. My daughter's was slower paced and a longer program (by deliberate choice), but she was still in the pool in full gear by the third week - out of an 8-10 week course.

I'm also confused about why he would be inflating her vest by blowing air into it (apparently pulling her underwater in the process) rather than using her inflation valve to start with (which he tried to find after she was already sinking fast).

Thanks for the post!

I'm a little unclear about SCUBA instruction in Scotland. Was the "instructor" and actual instructor, with the ability to issue recognized C-cards (BSAC/CMAS/etc.), or just a diver with the SCUBA club?

Is it traditional for SCUBA certification in Scotland to have actual written standards and practices, and is it allowed to shovel someone into a drysuit and take them into open water without actually going through all the skills in a pool first?

Terry

The instructor in this instance was a qualified Scottish Sub-Aqua Club (SSAC) instructor, qualified to conduct training under their auspices. Scottish Sub-Aqua Club qualifications are issued by individual branches of the club to members of that branch.

SSAC has written standards, rules and guidance for instructors. In this particular case it would seem many of those standards, guidelines and rules were ignored.

There is no legal requirement anywhere in the UK for any amateur diver to have any qualifications before diving in open water. However, if someone joins a diving club it would be reasonable to assume that they would receive sufficient training in a pool before being taken into the sea. Again, this assumption appears not to apply in this case, sadly.

Coroner's courts are all public and usually a very good way of ferreting out what exactly happened. Although the families are always asked by the press, and always say that they are considering suing, in practice it rarely happens because damages claims for death are relatively low in the UK.

It certainly sounds like the instructor didn't cover himself with glory (ditched his own weights to bring her to the surface?), but I take badly written dive reports with a pinch of salt.

No, they make recommendations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom