Death of rookie diver could have been avoided

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubasw

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Death of rookie diver could have been avoided
Proper precautions were not taken, says sheriff after fatal accident inquiry
By Rita Campbell

Published: 22/11/2008

The death of a woman making her first open-water dive in an Argyll bay could have been avoided, a sheriff has ruled.

Lynn Herriot drowned while taking part in the dive at Gallanach Bay, near Oban, with the Newtongrange Branch of the Scottish Sub Aqua Club (SSAC).

In a report published yesterday following a fatal accident inquiry at Oban Sheriff Court, Sheriff Douglas Small made 15 safety recommendations. He said Miss Herriot's death might have been avoided, had the precautions been taken.

The inquiry heard that Miss Herriot, 41, of Pinewood Road, Dalkeith, Midlothian, was given a borrowed dry suit that was Excessively large for her when the Try-dive took place on May 13 2006.

She was also Over weighted after an instructor placed rocks in her pockets to help her achieve neutral buoyancy.

Sheriff Small ruled: Lynn Herriot's death might have been avoided had she been given proper pre-dive training and had appropriate precautions been taken before and during the dive.

Instructor Gordon Rankin said Miss Herriot removed her mouth piece when they surfaced at the end of the dive. He told her not to do this, before turning round to see her with her head under the water with the mouth piece having fallen away. As she started to sink he went down and held on to her but he had run out of air.

He tried to remove his weights to bring them both to the surface but he found this difficult with one hand and let go of her. When he reached the surface he could not dive after her because his weights were gone.

Miss Herriot's sister, Joyce Herriot, who was also on the dive, described the training as Haphazard?

In his report, Sheriff Small said: I consider that the lack of formalisation of the scuba dive training given at the Newtongrange dive club to be a fact relevant to the circumstances of the death.

He recommends that beginners receive detailed instruction in the use of breathing equipment and methods of buoyancy control and that they carry out at least two dives in a swimming pool

A spokesman for SSAC said: SSAC has received a copy of the determination and is considering what actions require to be taken in response to his lordship's recommendations.
Names have been left in this as it is public record Death of rookie diver could have been avoided - Press & Journal

I'm just curious as to was this a sanctioned Discover Scuba course by SSAC and what wre the standards for conducting this type of "Discover Scuba Diving" experience in the UK and Scotland

Did I read this correctly:

Was this her first training dive or a discover experience (in a dry suit)?

Instructor used rocks for proper weighting (not saying I have never seen this done by haphazard divers ... but an instructor :confused: )

Instructor came to the surface and couldn't continue to save her, because he ran out of air? The Instructor ran out of air :shakehead:

Terrible tragedy! While there are always two sides to every story .... I am not even going to say it. Would like to know if this guys is still an instructor or in jail.

My condolences to the family.

I don't know about you guys but I've seen that kind of journalism before and I seriously doubt that it went down like they wrote it.

I would caution about speculating too much based on this "report" or drawing too many conclusions from it. IIRC accident reports in the BSAC are a matter of public records. Maybe the same is true for the SSAC. Maybe someone can dig up an abstract of the incident report if we want to speculate more based on "facts".

R..

I generally do not believe a single word a journalist types or speaks. I truly have no respect for that occupation any longer... However, in this case, it appears the reporter is pulling quotes from an official report. But, then again, I've seen how that game can be played as well. A reporter can easily quote only a portion of a quote which forces a reader to take it out of context and draw incorrect conclusions, not at all unlike what Polichickens do in their ads. I can only hope the certifying agency is conducting it's own investigation so they can get to the bottom of the actual facts. If/when that happens, if it turns out the Instructor was even half as negligent as this story seems to indicate, I hope he is dealt with accordingly so he doesn't have a chance to harm any other students.

Good god. What a colossal cluster****! If those facts are accurate, someone should be going to jail over this one.

I would caution about speculating too much based on this "report" or drawing too many conclusions from it. IIRC accident reports in the BSAC are a matter of public records. Maybe the same is true for the SSAC. Maybe someone can dig up an abstract of the incident report if we want to speculate more based on "facts".

R..

OK.. BSAC are the governing body for scuba diving in the UK. the accident reports are ALL accidents from ALL agencies that happen in the UK and all known BSAC member divers abroad. As such it will contain this ScotSAC one. They announce the annual incident report at the Diving Officers Conference at the beginning of December every year so it'll be on the web from then.
Also, the public stuff above is all public record - coroners are always. ScotSAC syllabus is pretty much the same as BSAC.

For the article itself lots of inconsistencies that make no sense so cant take anything from it - clearly written by someone unskilled in diving.

Mentions a try dive then mentions first open water dive. Generally in the UK all try dives are in the pool. You certainly dont drysuit open water try dives in Oban so im assuming it was dive 1 of a course.

The overweighted thing - while its possible having rocks in the pocket doesn't necessarily mean she was overweighted - they may have been needed to get neutral. We're told not to do it but often its the only way to actually do it if a student is too floaty underwater for some reason at times.

Dry suit too big ? Yeah possibly if its a club suit. Cant see how it caused anything here though.

Instructor ran out of air? Faster than a first dive student? Very surprised if that's the case. Its not impossible the student sank and then due to visibility he couldnt find her.

In short, i want to see the official report as there are too many inconsistencies here to make sense of.

Are there some Scottish divers here? Where in Oban did this occur? Very sad story. Lovely seaside town.

Cheers,

X

p.s. putting rocks in the pockets is not a good practice, especially with a total newbie. As process skills aren't highly developed, rocks, lead in pockets become very hard to find and ditch when things go south. It certainly could be a contributing factor in this unfortunate accident, If anything, the instructor should have conducted a pre-dive buoyancy check with all students in gear prior to a descent. This is a no-brainer and hopefully a standard practice with all instructors. I also wonder if there was a ascent, or down line being used? The viz. is not always wonderful in that area of Scotland.

Back
Top Bottom