Death of my Son, I need some help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And my Kind Words to the OP on the loss. I have not lost a son, but rather a wife of 40yrs of marriage, now 06 years in the past. It does get better, but only the Distance of Time, will improve your life and outlook. But, keep busy at SOMETHING, rather than 'sit in a corner, look at a photo, and play mind games with yourself.' That was the advice from the HOSPIC workers. I took the advice, and it did help. My own view, a therapist is just a con man with a college education and a glib tongue. If you are of the religious sort, perhaps the clergyman of your faith might be a help.

And my Kind Words to the OP on the loss. I have not lost a son, but rather a wife of 40yrs of marriage, now 06 years in the past. It does get better, but only the Distance of Time, will improve your life and outlook. But, keep busy at SOMETHING, rather than 'sit in a corner, look at a photo, and play mind games with yourself.' That was the advice from the HOSPIC workers. I took the advice, and it did help. My own view, a therapist is just a con man with a college education and a glib tongue. If you are of the religious sort, perhaps the clergyman of your faith might be a help.

@Antient Marriner, I don't know what you do for a living, but I will assume that you are 'one of the good ones' in your field (or have been one of the good ones). There are 'good' therapists who are more than a 'con man with a college education and a glib tongue'. I wouldn't bother saying anything, but if one of those glib-tongued folks can help someone get through the loss of a loved one, why not encourage it? Tylenol doesn't touch my headaches, but if it helps you with yours, why not give it a whirl? Often, what someone needs the most in their darkest moments is someone to be present to witness their pain. And yes, if one has a foundation of faith, their clergy can absolutely be an asset. Sigh.

@Antient Marriner, I don't know what you do for a living, but I will assume that you are 'one of the good ones' in your field (or have been one of the good ones). There are 'good' therapists who are more than a 'con man with a college education and a glib tongue'. I wouldn't bother saying anything, but if one of those glib-tongued folks can help someone get through the loss of a loved one, why not encourage it? Tylenol doesn't touch my headaches, but if it helps you with yours, why not give it a whirl? Often, what someone needs the most in their darkest moments is someone to be present to witness their pain. And yes, if one has a foundation of faith, their clergy can absolutely be an asset. Sigh.
And Back; Your Thought is generous with regards to Therapists---and I leave it there. And yes, thank you for the 'compliment in the Dark'. I was one of the good ones in my field'[now years retired].

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom