Death of a camera.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of these insurance companies are somewhat lacking.

Warren, that can work against you or FOR you. :wink: when I find a dumb agent,sometimes I am happy. (depending on what it is you want from them)

I just talked to Larry, you don't even have to have home owner's insurance! wow, news to me.

I have the DEPP because it pays cash, not replacement. Good thing as the damn things are more expensive now than when new.

I think you better check what you have...sounds wrong to me. DEPP premiums are lower cause they do replacement only...no greenbacks....I thought.

...and State Farm is still less, no exclusions either!

here taken from Doc V web site comparing the DAN with DEPP:

On the other hand, DEPP, at its option, will either repair or replace your gear. Don't expect to see any money.

(not to be a know-it-all or anything)

I'm into the 7 K zone now with the second camera, so I researched it rather thoroughly.

Wildcard:
I called my state farm agent and they could find no way to insure my camera and dive gear???... Idiots.

Try again. If you need I can contact my agent and find out exactly the type of policy, but it's something like a personal articles policy. It's a separate policy that covers things that would normally be covered by your home owners policy (mine does cover dive gear, and camera gear). It insures against more the standard homeowners policy. It also insures a greater amount of one type of item as there are limits to how much they will replace for a particular type of thing.

The policy covers both my dive equipment and Camera equipment against ANYTHING. Loss, theft, damage, Flooding, dropping it into the Abys. If I puncture my BC, they replace it. If I drop a lens over the side of the boat, they replace it. Each item must be identified by Manufacture, model, serial number (if applicable), and replacement cost. For example my D1x is worth maybe $1000 (maybe less) but if it's stolen, I get a D2x because that is the equivalent body today, and I have it insured for the amount of a new D2x.

Dimitri also has this coverage, and he just used it to replace a ripped BC.

I researched both DAN and DEPP. Both cover against flooding, but one of them does NOT cover against loss. Both were a LOT more expensive than the State Farm policy which was something like 1% per year on camera gear, and I think a bit more on dive gear for some reason.

As Cath indicated this policy is separate from my Homeowners, so if it was to be canceled, it would NOT impact my homeowners policy. I asked the agent point blank if I would be canceled if I file a claim. She said that cancellation is always a possibility, but generally the claim would have to be suspicious, or multiple claims where I was obviously acting recklessly with my equipment.

No deductible, insurance against any situation with the items listed by replacement value and a cash settlement, not messing around with repair or finding used equipment. What is NOT to like? :D

catherine96821:
Ron, I wonder if State Farm is less likely to haggle with you if they also have your house and cars, etc.

I think they are more likely to offer insurance readily if you have a history with them. We've used State Farm for homeowners for 20 years or more, and when I called them for insurance on the Dive equipment, they jumped all over it with rates that left me smiling! :D

That fact that my buddy filed a claim for a BC against his State Farm policy in January without hassle is a good sign ($550 I think to replace a Balance, and he purchased a Zeagle Stiletto). No rate increase, no cancellation, just a check handed to him when he showed them the ripped BC. He did not even replace it with the same manufacture, and he kept the old BC, and turned around and insured the new one.

My agent even called me after 6 months and asked if I wanted to add or remove anything. I did! The only downside is that I don't think their is a general misc items clause. IOW's if I have a reel, and don't specifically list that item, and it's lost I have no coverage on that policy. However I am still likely covered under my homeowners, but there are exclusions.

Sounds like ideal coverage to me!

Is just State Farm doing this or are there other like Farmers? I have $6000 in video equipment and need INC. Been looking at both Dan and Depp just not sure which one. Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom