Dealing with floaty feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaExplorer:
Don't do ankel weights. This is never an option. The last thing you want is to tire you legs unnecessarily. Try redistributing the weight, shifting your tank, adjusting the shoulder straps, or something else - anything else.

agreed, shift tank down as far as possible, add trim weights to the bottom of the tank even.

Good advise from previous posts. I would try/consider these ideas. I would consider three mil booties. Are you diving a Aluminum tank? You may want to consider diving Steel. Move your weight as close to your hips as possible and lower your tank. Are you diving a back inflate BC? Back inflate BC's trap air,so make sure that's not happening to you. Just a small amount of trapped air will make you feel like you have "floaty feet". At the end of a dive an aluminum tank will only make your problem worse. Hope this helps. Good diving. :palmtree: Bob

I wear ankle weights.

It helps my trim. My SAC rate is excellent, I think that IF there were studies done on air consumption with and without ankle weights on a 'normal' dive, there wouldn't be much difference.

Everyone has an opinion about ankle weights (and everything else) do what is best for you and trims you out best.

My BC weights are around my waist, not my hips where the center of gravity should be. Ankle weights help me to compensate for this shift of gravity and puts it back to where it should be.

Again, this works for ME, do a buoyancy check to get to your ideal weight (most divers are over-weighted) and borrow someones ankle weights (don't forget to remove the equal amount of weight from your BC) and try a few dives with them. You may hate them, you may like them but you won't know until you try it.

Back
Top Bottom