Dead woman discovered - White Star Quarry, Ohio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
http://www.thenews-messenger.com/st...woman-found-dead-white-star-quarry/406483001/
MADISON TOWNSHIP - A woman died Saturday; rescue personnel found her unresponsive near the shore of White Star Quarry.

Gibsonburg Fire Chief Marty Brown did not have the name of the woman, but said she was pronounced dead on the quarry's beach.

Sandusky County Park District Director Andrew Brown said the woman's name will not be released until her family has been notified.

"We were called to assist on a diver in distress and when we arrived on scene we assisted Life Squad 14 on a female with CPR in progress," Brown said.

Brown said the woman's body was discovered floating in the quarry around 1:47 p.m. Saturday.

Brown said there was speculation that another diver was missing, but that information proved to be incorrect.

"We had received information that this diver treated was with a male diver, and until we could verify his whereabouts we treated it as a search," Brown said. "We eventually found him and canceled the search. He was not even in the area at the time. It turned out to only be the one female diver."

Brown said the male diver was not in the park at the time of the incident.

Investigators are unsure of the cause of death.

I have a number of friends who dive there on a regular basis. They shared a picture of emergency services there on FB from someone who saw the rescue operation. That person posted details I'm not sure I can share.

I was there with a group when things got sour. Myself and a few others watched as she struggled to get her fins on; a kind man offered to help her get them squared away at about the 4 foot mark in the water by the beach. Everyone assumed it was her dive buddy because, well, no solo diving.
Honestly, my most heartfelt sympathies go out to the family. The lady looked ill when she was even trying to get her fins on- why was she out there alone, to begin with? Truthfully, she looked like she should have been on land somewhere because her face was very red and puffy looking; she seemed to be overweight and sweating, and her skin color seemed kind of odd. I say this with the utmost respect.
A few people commented on her appearance quietly between themselves but we are all certified adults and who are we to police each other and pry into others' beeswax? In this case, maybe a few questions could have served well, but again, what was she doing out there alone and not feeling so well?
I truly hope that everyone stays safe and dives within their limits. There was another 911 accident at White Star today (lung overexpansion after running out/low on air at about 40 feet under) and hopefully that woman is alright too. Please remember to be safe every step/kick of the way and to keep tabs on personal health.
It's been a heartbreaking weekend at White Star and I am certain we all hope to avoid that in the future, as much as we can...

Also says pulmonary edema, my guess is this is what really caused the problem. You do not need to be even underwater for it to get you.

The lady looked ill when she was even trying to get her fins on- why was she out there alone, to begin with? Truthfully, she looked like she should have been on land somewhere because her face was very red and puffy looking; she seemed to be overweight and sweating, and her skin color seemed kind of odd. I say this with the utmost respect.
A few people commented on her appearance quietly between themselves but we are all certified adults and who are we to police each other and pry into others' beeswax? In this case, maybe a few questions could have served well, but again, what was she doing out there alone and not feeling so well?
This sounds like a difficult situation for an onlooker, and it reminds me of something that happened in our area a couple of decades ago.

A somewhat elderly disk jockey on an oldies station mentioned over the air that he was not feeling so good that day, and he described how he was feeling. Not long after, there was a pounding at the studio door as EMS arrived. A listener had decided that the disk jockey was in the middle of a heart attack and had called for an ambulance. It turned out he was right--the disk jockey was indeed having a heart attack, and the listener's decision to intervene likely saved his life.

So maybe if someone watching her had stepped in and told her she looked too ill to be diving.....well, we will never know, will we? Stepping in to do something like that with a complete stranger is very much out of the norm for us in our society, and it would take a lot of courage to do it. We would all like to think we would have that kind of courage, but I think only a very small percentage of people would take that step. There is a good chance that even if we did, the person would wave us off and claim to be OK.

Stepping in to do something like that with a complete stranger is very much out of the norm for us in our society, and it would take a lot of courage to do it.
You can call the ambulance anonymously. In Florida, an ambulance can't charge unless they take you to the hospital. Let them do the hard work

You can call the ambulance anonymously. In Florida, an ambulance can't charge unless they take you to the hospital. Let them do the hard work
What I was talking about was not so much calling an ambulance. I was talking about going up to someone and saying, "Hey, you are looking like you might be a little ill. Are you sure you should be diving today?"

Rescue diver course willl help you better diagnose someone with an issue that they themselves either won't admit to or is totally unaware exists. I believe all divers after their OW should progress to a RD curriculum.

You can't insist that they not dive, you can only try to rationalize the situation and possibly be proactive in preventing death or injury.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom