Dead woman discovered - White Star Quarry, Ohio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe the technical diving culture is different. But if I see something, I say something, as diplomatically as the situation permits, but I make certain I say it. The stakes are too high not to speak up. That said, I very rarely need to say anything. And, when someone says something to me, I take it seriously. That, too, is rare, for which I'm thankful.

Some people get upset when you speak up. I truly do not care. I have yet to do a recovery, and I don't want to. And I want to know if I am needlessly taking risks I should manage or causing any risk to others. Those I dive with feel the same way. Nobody gets angry, even if they have to explain why the feedback, while welcome, was not needed.

Perhaps the most memorable time I spoke up was upon seeing someone with an incredibly red face, complete with bulging veins, who was charging into the water. His neck seal was *visibly* far too tight, making the skin bulge above the seal on his neck. He was not happy I spoke up, but I had to try to dissuade him from diving until he'd trimmed the seal. He went in anyway, thinking unkind thoughts, I'm sure, and nothing bad happened, but how would I have felt if he'd drowned? (See Carotid sinus - Wikipedia) That line from Cool Hand Luke comes to mind: "Some people, you just can't reach."

My advice, worth what you paid for it, is speak up if you think it's warranted. If you're not sure it's a problem, pose it as a question. But sitting idly by can get people hurt. Don't do that.

(Where did that soapbox come from?)

I agree with the "If you see something.. say something!" line. The citchat approach is a much better one IMHO more likely to get a positive response. It is a win win... If they listen.. you may have averted a disaster. If they don't listen and the worst case happens you know that you did your best. Don't underestimate the comfort THAT can bring!

Identifying yourself and your qualifications may be helpful in obvious situations like the bike accident described. It can help calm a fearful patient. That said I am not a big fan. If I am injured I want to see your skill not be told about it. I have seen too many overzealous people with "qualifications" but little or no skill. Consent to treat can easily be gained by saying something like.."I see you are bleeding. I'd like to put pressure on that to stop it and check to see if you any other injuries. Are you ok with that?" lol it is amazing what appearing calm and prepared does to gain co-operation. I prefer"lone ranger" first aid anyway. Treat the problem and make my exit. I don't need to see my name in the paper as a hero or on a subpeona to attend court.

As a retired paramedic and first aid trainer I know that there is no checklist that can absolutely rule in or rule out a given problem. If you don't believe this ask yourself why hospitals spend so much money buying and training people to use diagnostic equipment. A doctor, nurse, paramedic, firefighter or first aider needs to know their limits.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom