Dead dolphin at Veterans Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the lines were removed today. Would really be the right thing to do if the original line-runners were to go and clean up the rest of the mess.

Most of the lines were removed today. Would really be the right thing to do if the original line-runners were to go and clean up the rest of the mess.

Can you provide more detail about this?

mocrumbo...what lines did u remove...I'm NOT sure the navigation lines were what was in the video....how did you come to that conclusion if in fact you did remove the navigation lines?

Carlos, that reminds me of the guy who removed the first line I laid to the Marineland platform. He came up to the parking lot with a huge bundle of cave line and asked,"Can you believe someone left this out there?"

The dolphin we found yesterday was obviously entangled in the navigation line. We know this because we could continue to follow the line and find where it was staked off by Re-Bar Concrete reinforcements used as stakes to anchor the line. It's the one that had the Warning sign about entering Boating Traffic lane at the end. Also, we're quite familiar with what cave line looks like verses fishing line or line used for lobster traps. This was the 2nd Dolphin found last week entrapped in those lines, so we decided immediate action was needed to remove the Upper Stairs line and also the Lower Stairs line. After this tragedy, I will personally cut and remove any lines I find at Vets or any other open water sites -- there may still be lines down there, especially headed south from the Crab Shack -- and I hope others will do the same. It's not something I would have thought possible since the lines lay along the bottom in 70' of water, but when we dove last week we were pelted by schools of sardines and could hear the dolphins above us chasing them. Perhaps the dolphins dove down after the sardines and became entangled. Very sad.

Thanks Graham...I just wanted someone to follow the entangled lines to confirm the source. My plan was to get into the water to attempt this. Thanks for posting that bit of information.

The dolphin we found yesterday was obviously entangled in the navigation line. We know this because we could continue to follow the line and find where it was staked off by Re-Bar Concrete reinforcements used as stakes to anchor the line. It's the one that had the Warning sign about entering Boating Traffic lane at the end. Also, we're quite familiar with what cave line looks like verses fishing line or line used for lobster traps. This was the 2nd Dolphin found last week entrapped in those lines, so we decided immediate action was needed to remove the Upper Stairs line and also the Lower Stairs line. After this tragedy, I will personally cut and remove any lines I find at Vets or any other open water sites -- there may still be lines down there, especially headed south from the Crab Shack -- and I hope others will do the same. It's not something I would have thought possible since the lines lay along the bottom in 70' of water, but when we dove last week we were pelted by schools of sardines and could hear the dolphins above us chasing them. Perhaps the dolphins dove down after the sardines and became entangled. Very sad.

Good job guys !

So sad... especially after seeing this contrasting video of a good outcome in HI that was posted about a week and a half prior) .... Dolphin Rescue Hawaii.mp4 - YouTube

Well, let's be honest. Most dolphins that are caught/ tangled in fishing gear (or navigation lines, for that matter...) are killed. This rescue in Hawaii is exquisitely rare. Around the world, an estimated 1,000 dolphins, whales and porpoises are killed in fishing gear EVERY DAY! This is the reality of seafood. But I digress, that was not the topic of this thread.

I will say, however, that if seeing those dolphins killed at Redondo has upset you, then please think about what you are eating...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom