• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dead dolphin at Veterans Park

Discussion in 'SoCal' started by undrwater, Jan 25, 2013.

1. undrwater

undrwater Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Divers at Veterans Park found a dead dolphin in about 70' very near Cookie's Crab Shack. I had already done my dive, but I was the only one around with a camera. Roc and his group took it down to see if they could get footage. They did.

[video=youtube;IbwG2XR33Z0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbwG2XR33Z0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Other divers in the parking lot later mentioned that someone had reported a separate incident of a dead dolphin similarly wrapped in line a week before. Please post if you have any information about that.

Thanks!

riguerin likes this.
  2. Thiad

Thiad Instructor, Scuba

This is heartbreaking. I get that animals die, but this does not look like a natural death.

3. merxlin

merxlin ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    What was it caught up in? Are those lines tethered off and anchored?

4. undrwater

undrwater Contributor

They look that way don't they? The footage never shows where the lines end, and I'm not sure if the group followed them. I don't have Roc's contact info, otherwise I'd ask him. I don't think I'll be there again until Wednesday, so I'm hoping someone else comes up with an answer to that.

5. riguerin

riguerin Blah Blah Blah

Over the years several groups have installed circuits of permanent guideline at Vets. Looks like this animal may have become entangled in some. Very sad :(

6. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Divers may have caused this? !?! Oh no! :-(

7. MaxBottomtime

MaxBottomtime Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I saw some floats on the lines. It may have become entangled in lines from lobster traps. I wouldn't be surprised to find a trap at the end of the line with the tension on it.

8. Dive California

Dive California Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Sad, but thanks for posting....thanks Roc for filming. My guess is what Phil thinks...lobster lines. :(

Will try and get out with bad weather.

9. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Thanks for the alternate explanation. Still a very miserable state of affairs none the less.

10. Gill

Gill Contributor

This is recent then. I dove at Vet's on Mon, Jan 21st and when I went by the Crab Shack there was no dead dolphin then. Water on the surface that day was flat as a pancake.

Kaamoss likes this.