DCS??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tumbler31

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
URGENT

Hello friends! I had an issue last week that I could use some advice on. I apologize for the lack of brevity, but I suppose the details are important. It’s also import to tell you that I’m writing this because I’m scheduled to fly from the USA to Europe on Thursday and am wondering if I could have a serious problem with nowhere to land.

Background - I’m 53/m in very good health all the way around, nitrox/master diver certified with 150+ dives over the past 6 years, plus many more when I was younger before I took a 25 year hiatus.

I had a 2 tank nitrox dive scheduled last Thursday. 1st dive was max 83’ wreck with kind of a strong current. I got through 1/2 my tank (1700 lbs. left) in 16 min or so and signaled to the DM. All seemed normal, although I did feel a little “off” during the entire dive, but fine beforehand. 5 min later I checked my gauge and had 500 lbs., no idea how. I showed the DM, and we were close to the mooring buoy line, so I started up. Normally, I’m VERY calm and cool at all times, and as embarrassing as this is to write, I felt a wave of panic set in and ascended more rapidly than I should have, but stopped at my safety stop, where another one of the DMs let me buddy breathe with him. I didn’t shoot to the surface, but I went hand over hand up for about 25’ not in panic mode but faster than I should have, until I slowed down to my safety stop, where I did 5 min. I still had 15 min NDL before I began ascending.

Back on the boat, I felt kind of crappy. In hindsight, I definitely should have skipped the second dive (especially bc we only did a 30 min surface interval, but I guess that is a topic for another post), but it was a relatively shallow dive, max 45’ with only 4 min below 30’, so I did it and ended with a 5 min safety stop.

Back on the boat, I still felt crummy, slightly nauseous but not debilitating. The only residual effect was a mild headache the next day.

I had some private dives set up Saturday and Sunday. First dive I got down to 81’, was self-assessing and felt normal, but after 5 min or so my heart began racing and and I started getting lightheaded, so I signaled the DM and we ascended in a slow, controlled fashion. I believe if I had continued the dive, lightheadedness could easily have become dizziness and disorientation and panic. I did a safety stop and felt better once I was on the boat but decided to cancel my dives for the rest of the weekend.

So I’m wondering what could have caused the residual effects 2 days later (assuming that’s what it was). I was well rested and don’t drink alcohol or smoke. I spoke with DAN and a few other local professionals, and they all feel strongly that it wasn’t DCS.

As I said above, I’m scheduled to travel to Europe on Thursday, and hopefully do some diving. But now I have concerns that something happened to me on that first dive that could cause me to have a life-threatening problem with nowhere for an emergency landing (Philly to Madrid). Philly is my connection, so I suppose if I were to have any problems, they would show up on the flight there, right?

Thanks!

I was about to suggest you call DAN, but you said you spoke with them and they feel strongly it wasn't DCS. I doubt anyone here can give you better advice. A physician might want to examine you before giving advice. I'd suggest seeing a physician if you're concerned.

I spoke with DAN and a few other local professionals, and they all feel strongly that it wasn’t DCS.
Lorenzoid's comment is apt--no one here is going to do any better than DAN. I do concur with that opinion--DCS is not at all likely.

My wild guess comes from your understandable anxiety about that first dive. I think it is much more likely that you are still feeling anxious about it and are worried about lasting physiological effects. The fact that you wrote this post reinforces that. If you are indeed anxious, then you will monitor how you feel continually and be hypervigilant for any sign of trouble. Every minor quirk in how you feel will jump up and shout at you that it is a possible sign of DCS You will notice and worry about things you wouldn't have give a second thought to before.

I want to emphasize that I am saying this is a possibility, and I have no professional qualifications to give a real diagnosis.

URGENT

Hello friends! I had an issue last week that I could use some advice on. I apologize for the lack of brevity, but I suppose the details are important. It’s also import to tell you that I’m writing this because I’m scheduled to fly from the USA to Europe on Thursday and am wondering if I could have a serious problem with nowhere to land.

Background - I’m 53/m in very good health all the way around, nitrox/master diver certified with 150+ dives over the past 6 years, plus many more when I was younger before I took a 25 year hiatus.

I had a 2 tank nitrox dive scheduled last Thursday. 1st dive was max 83’ wreck with kind of a strong current. I got through 1/2 my tank (1700 lbs. left) in 16 min or so and signaled to the DM. All seemed normal, although I did feel a little “off” during the entire dive, but fine beforehand. 5 min later I checked my gauge and had 500 lbs., no idea how. I showed the DM, and we were close to the mooring buoy line, so I started up. Normally, I’m VERY calm and cool at all times, and as embarrassing as this is to write, I felt a wave of panic set in and ascended more rapidly than I should have, but stopped at my safety stop, where another one of the DMs let me buddy breathe with him. I didn’t shoot to the surface, but I went hand over hand up for about 25’ not in panic mode but faster than I should have, until I slowed down to my safety stop, where I did 5 min. I still had 15 min NDL before I began ascending.

Back on the boat, I felt kind of crappy. In hindsight, I definitely should have skipped the second dive (especially bc we only did a 30 min surface interval, but I guess that is a topic for another post), but it was a relatively shallow dive, max 45’ with only 4 min below 30’, so I did it and ended with a 5 min safety stop.

Back on the boat, I still felt crummy, slightly nauseous but not debilitating. The only residual effect was a mild headache the next day.

I had some private dives set up Saturday and Sunday. First dive I got down to 81’, was self-assessing and felt normal, but after 5 min or so my heart began racing and and I started getting lightheaded, so I signaled the DM and we ascended in a slow, controlled fashion. I believe if I had continued the dive, lightheadedness could easily have become dizziness and disorientation and panic. I did a safety stop and felt better once I was on the boat but decided to cancel my dives for the rest of the weekend.

So I’m wondering what could have caused the residual effects 2 days later (assuming that’s what it was). I was well rested and don’t drink alcohol or smoke. I spoke with DAN and a few other local professionals, and they all feel strongly that it wasn’t DCS.

As I said above, I’m scheduled to travel to Europe on Thursday, and hopefully do some diving. But now I have concerns that something happened to me on that first dive that could cause me to have a life-threatening problem with nowhere for an emergency landing (Philly to Madrid). Philly is my connection, so I suppose if I were to have any problems, they would show up on the flight there, right?

Thanks!
Hello @Tumbler31 ,

Can you provide more detail about the occurrence on Saturday's dive? At what point did the lightheadedness resolve? I share @smiffy6four 's concern about the potential for some sort of contaminated air, especially if you were diving with the same outfit each time. How are you feeling now?

Re your travel, it seems unlikely that your first event was related to DCS, so flying should pose little risk provided that you stay within published flying-after-diving guidelines and you have no other medical issues that could present as an in-flight emergency. If you're concerned, as @Lorenzoid posted above, a visit to a physician would be reasonable.

Also concur with @boulderjohn, who posted his reply before I finished typing mine, that anxiety is another possibility given the information you've provided.

Best regards,
DDM

...I had some private dives set up Saturday and Sunday. First dive I got down to 81’, was self-assessing and felt normal, but after 5 min or so my heart began racing and and I started getting lightheaded, so I signaled the DM and we ascended in a slow, controlled fashion. I believe if I had continued the dive, lightheadedness could easily have become dizziness and disorientation and panic...
You might consider evaluation for an arrhythmia

Is it possible the tanks had bad air? Sounds like a potential high C0 hit?
I don't guess that you tested the tanks before you dived them so were diving on hope alone. CO hits can mimic other risks and maladies so they're difficult to identify without immediate testing, of the environment or the patient's blood, but it is a possibility here.

I still had 15 min NDL before I began ascending.
Back on the boat, I felt kind of crappy.
DAN would be the ultimate resource, but this is extremely unlikely to be DCS. Almost certainly something unrelated to diving. Maybe something you ate? A flu?

Lorenzoid's comment is apt--no one here is going to do any better than DAN. I do concur with that opinion--DCS is not at all likely.

My wild guess comes from your understandable anxiety about that first dive. I think it is much more likely that you are still feeling anxious about it and are worried about lasting physiological effects. The fact that you wrote this post reinforces that. If you are indeed anxious, then you will monitor how you feel continually and be hypervigilant for any sign of trouble. Every minor quirk in how you feel will jump up and shout at you that it is a possible sign of DCS You will notice and worry about things you wouldn't have give a second thought to before.

I want to emphasize that I am saying this is a possibility, and I have no professional qualifications to give a real diagnosis.
That’s very possible. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom