DCS versus Neurological Symptoms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This quote by devondiver concerns me greatly, particulaly the bolded part. How does one tell the difference between the pain, tingling, weakness, etc. of severely degenerated discs and the symptoms of DCS? I have often produced subclinical DCS symptoms (extreme tiredness, fatique) before I began Pyle stops and Nitrox.

one of the biggest and most serious issues that impacts upon successful dcs treatment is 'denial'. Added to this is the issue of poor dcs education amongst both the professional medical community and the recreational diving community..

from the dan website, article:

decompression illness: What is it and what is the treatment?
By dr. E.d. Thalmann, dan assistant medical director

dcs - denial and recognition

the most common manifestations of dcs are joint pain and numbness or tingling. Next most common are muscular weakness and inability to empty a full bladder. Severe dcs is easy to identify because the signs and symptoms are obvious. However, most dcs manifests subtly with a minor joint ache or a paresthesia (an abnormal sensation like burning, tingling or ticking) in an extremity.

In many cases these symptoms are ascribed to another cause such as overexertion, heavy lifting or even a tight wetsuit. This delays seeking help and is why it is often noted that the first symptom of dcs is denial. Sometimes these symptoms remain mild and go away by themselves, but many times they increase in severity until it is obvious to you that something is wrong and that you need help.

What happens if you don't seek treatment? In severe dcs, a permanent residual handicap may result: This can be a bladder dysfunction, sexual dysfunction or muscular weakness, to name a few.

In some cases of neurological dcs, there mat be permanent damage to the spinal cord, which may or may not cause symptoms. However, this type of damage may decrease the likelihood of recovery from a subsequent bout of dcs.

Untreated joint pains that subside are thought to cause small areas of bone damage called osteonecrosis. Usually this will not cause symptoms unless there are many bouts of untreated dcs. If this happens, however, there may be enough damage to cause the bone to become brittle or for joints to collapse or become arthritic.

This quote by devondiver concerns me greatly, particulaly the bolded part. How does one tell the difference between the pain, tingling, weakness, etc. of severely degenerated discs and the symptoms of DCS?

I guess the definitive method is to take a chamber ride. If it doesn't get any better its not DCS.

This actually happened to someone I used to dive with. The day after a very strenuous 200 foot dive he collapsed in the shower. Turned out to be a ruptured disc and not dive related. The doctors thought it was probably a disc but were not sure until after the ride.

Agreed, but I can take a misstep off of a curb and manifest all the symptoms of "DCS" within a half hour. The numbness and tingling are a common issue after diving due to the weight on my back.

Would I be "safe" to assume it is normal disc symptoms if the symptoms resolve with my normal battery of medications? - ibuprofen, cyclobenzaprine, oxycodone, etc.

Interesting question posted, looking forward to the string of responses!

Reactions: Jax
Agreed, but I can take a misstep off of a curb and manifest all the symptoms of "DCS" within a half hour. The numbness and tingling are a common issue after diving due to the weight on my back.

Would I be "safe" to assume it is normal disc symptoms if the symptoms resolve with my normal battery of medications? - ibuprofen, cyclobenzaprine, oxycodone, etc.

I thought you had seen the light and no longer carried weight on your back? :D

Reactions: Jax
:giggle: I still dive a single with the hubby.

I've had problems with both in the same year (2008):
Pinched Nerve (Cervical Radiculopathy). . ..
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/near-misses-lessons-learned/264517-type-i-bends-hit-chuuk.html

DCS type I, pain only in left shoulder joint/upper arm was dulled somewhat by breathing O2 at 1ATA (surface), 20min on O2 and 5min off on air break. Symptoms & pain became more acute over time (electively delayed Recompression Therapy). After two Table 6 HBOT treatments -one in Chuuk and an additional treatment in Honolulu- pain was resolved with no residual effects to this day.

Pinched nerve in neck with ache/pain/tingling sensation radiating down right shoulder & arm has been chronic ever since. . .:depressed:

So, would you say the pinched nerve in the neck is different than the DCS pain? How so?

I've had problems with both in the same year (2008):
Pinched Nerve (Cervical Radiculopathy). . ..
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/near-misses-lessons-learned/264517-type-i-bends-hit-chuuk.html

DCS type I, pain only in left shoulder joint/upper arm was dulled somewhat by breathing O2 at 1ATA (surface), 20min on O2 and 5min off on air break. Symptoms & pain became more acute over time (electively delayed Recompression Therapy). After two Table 6 HBOT treatments -one in Chuuk and an additional treatment in Honolulu- pain was resolved with no residual effects to this day.

Pinched nerve in neck with ache/pain/tingling sensation radiating down right shoulder & arm has been chronic ever since. . .:depressed:

In my experience, pain due to pinched nerve and musculo-skeletal strain was immediately evident & acute at that moment during the dive upon exercising the offending/precipitating motion & movement to my neck and limb.

DCS type I joint pain came on slowly & latently, and didn't manifest symptoms until approx 10min after the dive.

In my experience, pain due to pinched nerve and musculo-skeletal strain was immediately evident & acute at that moment during the dive upon exercising the offending/precipitating motion & movement to my neck and limb.

DCS type I joint pain came on slowly & latently, and didn't manifest symptoms until approx 10min after the dive.

DCS pain is not going to happen during the bottom part of a dive. If it happens on ascent would imagine thats a real bad sign as its going to get a LOT worse once you surface.

IIRC most DCS cases show up within 2 hours of surfacing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom