DCS Type II in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob - Thanks for your reply to my post. The dive profile was relatively conservative. First AM dive was to about 90 feet with a gradual ascent to about 40 feet and then slowly to a 15 feet dc stop. After a one hour plus surface interval, second dive was about to 80 feet, again with gradual rise to about 40 feet, with dc stop at 15 feet. It is very lilely I may have exceeded safe ascent rate (although not according to two dive computers) since this is the first time I have done repetitive dives along deep reefs without a safety rope or anchor chain to hold on to while ascending. I need to download the actual dive profiles for the 4 dives I did from my computer to check this.

The other possibility that comes to mind is a PFO ... lots of people have those and didn't even know if. Given the hit, I'd recommend getting tested to find out if you're one of them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Drapap,
Thanks for posting about your "hit', stories like these are good to keep divers aware that "it can happen to you" (it did happen to me!)
I'm glad that you are recovered from the experience.

On a slightly related note, the former leader of the Wakulla project used to advocate shallow dive first and then deep dive (the opposite of most two dive scenarios). Although it sounded counterintuitive at first, he had dopple data to back it up.

Did DAN or anyone ever validate their supposition?

Drapap, interesting that your hand and arm numbness cleared before treatment. Did you go on O2 before reaching the clinic? I understand it is possible for symptoms to clear through time, but this is not common. Did Dr. Piccolo comment on that?

Drapap, interesting that your hand and arm numbness cleared before treatment. Did you go on O2 before reaching the clinic? I understand it is possible for symptoms to clear through time, but this is not common. Did Dr. Piccolo comment on that?

The numbness was basically gone by the time I was in the ambulance and on O2, as had the blurred vision. Dr. Piccolo did not see anything unusual in the clearing up of these symptoms before treatment with O2 or the chamber.

I wonder if you would have been bend if you had been diving nitrox?

Of course, no one knows for sure.

But, thanks for the post, it points out that people can get bent on a rec. 2 tank dive.

Hopefully, some of the members will take note of your thread!

I'd like to see the last two dives downloaded if you could...??

There are a few other little things than can help prevent a hit beside good hydration and usual standards. Dr.Deco suggested a one minute float once on the surface before doing anything, his Silent Safety Stop. Taking your kit off in the water and letting the boat hand/captain drag it up helps too. Both of these go well with my lazy attitude. :wink:

You were in good hands. I met the good doc eown in Coz the same way. I had walked into town and back (about a 7 mile jaunt) the night before after 2 days of 2 day diving. I was worn out and I'm sure dehydrated. I drank water but obviously not enough. The next day I did 4 dives and spent the night in the chamber, followed by a day in the hospital, followed by another evening in the chamber. This even though my computer said Ihad been a good boy.
2 points,
1- although some doctors disagree about the importance of hydration as I look at the variables of my experience in Coz vs what I had been doing in Coz... drink lots of water :)
2 Get checked for a PFO. Mine turned out to be an ASD (pretty much the same thing altough some med experts would disagree). I had it fixed, a fairly simple procedure although anything around your heart might not be considered simple.
I got the 6 month "stand in a corner" ban from diving too but I told him I already had the big island manta dive scheduled in 3 months so he said go for it. One dive and he knew of it as being a relatively shallow dive.

I'd like to see the last two dives downloaded if you could...??

There are a few other little things than can help prevent a hit beside good hydration and usual standards. Dr.Deco suggested a one minute float once on the surface before doing anything, his Silent Safety Stop. Taking your kit off in the water and letting the boat hand/captain drag it up helps too. Both of these go well with my lazy attitude. :wink:

Followed both of these tips on all four dives. It is interesting that in my ten years of diving since becoming certified, Cozumel was the first place where removing my gear before getting back on board was even an option, without making a special request. In most of the locations where I have dived before, 3-4 feet swells, coupled with relatively large boats with high side bulkheads make this practice difficult.

Back
Top Bottom