DCS Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Best Marine???

Is a Submarine!
Shoulda seen your Midshipman underway....

You Naval Infantry guys are too funny!

Hello readers:

The Deep [?] I was planning to check on that but did not – my bad. :D

For someone who can name the first ten emperors of Rome, you think that I could recall the correct name of a film.

Nonetheless, submarines are not pressurized, airplanes are slightly depressurized, your voice is squeaky at great depth, and artificial gravity can only be achieved by a large mass or inertial force.:14:

Dr Deco :doctor:

1_T_Submariner:
Just as a side note it is thought that the captains will increase the O2 level to give the crew more energy when it comes to important thing like cleaning before an inspection. We didn't call it Nitrox however.
That reminds me of the other urban myth that they pump pure O2 into shopping malls to give shoppers more stamina to spend. Since high levels of O2 does not have that effect on the body, the extreme fire risk that would cause would hardly make sense on a sub or a mall:huh:

gangrel441:
A commercial aircraft is not kept at 1 ATA. Commercial flights allow pressure inside the cabin to decrease more gradually than the ascent of the aircraft itself, but on a flight with an altitude as high as 43,000 ft, the cabin pressure may be as high as 8,000 ft. This is part of the reason it is not safe to fly after diving.

Depends on your definition of "commercial". Some commercial airplanes, Lear comes to mind, have the ability to maintain 1ATA above FL40. These are often used for medevac and charter flights.

Now that I've nitpicked your definition; I do know you actually meant "Commercial Airlines".

ArcticDiver:
Depends on your definition of "commercial". Some commercial airplanes, Lear comes to mind, have the ability to maintain 1ATA above FL40. These are often used for medevac and charter flights.

Now that I've nitpicked your definition; I do know you actually meant "Commercial Airlines".

Actually, the coming crop of new large general aviation passenger jets, like the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, which uses a carbon-composite body instead of aluminum, will also have the capability to fly at 1 ATA.

Currently the only aircraft that I know are pressurized to 1atm are Lear Jets and C-130s. If anyone could add to the list that would be great.

Mauifish:
don't mean to make any Navy boys mad here but I have a little silly----
Q: If you send 100 sailers out to sea submerged for six months in a submarine,
What do you have when they come back??

A: 50 couples hahaha!!

I am an old jarhead

Dude... you must be REALLY old... because that joke is even older than me!

wedivebc:
That reminds me of the other urban myth that they pump pure O2 into shopping malls to give shoppers more stamina to spend. Since high levels of O2 does not have that effect on the body, the extreme fire risk that would cause would hardly make sense on a sub or a mall:huh:

I think I didn't explain this correctly. They wouldn't increase it to a level that wouldn't be more of a fire hazzard just a percent or two (Which it might have started out on the low side anyway). Anyway it didn't work but, Cigarettes seemed to burn faster during field day (Cleaning for 3-4 hours after a wakeup drill) than any other time! :D

1_T_Submariner:
I think I didn't explain this correctly. They wouldn't increase it to a level that wouldn't be more of a fire hazzard just a percent or two (Which it might have started out on the low side anyway). Anyway it didn't work but, Cigarettes seemed to burn faster during field day (Cleaning for 3-4 hours after a wakeup drill) than any other time! :D
That was the goal, shorten your butt breaks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom