DCS Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akdeepdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, Here is a question thats been keeping me up at night so I hope someone can explane. Especially since I am not a Dr, or expert on DCS. Why do crewmen on submarines not suffer from DCS after a long submergence. When they are under the water for long periods of time are they not still under the pressure generated by the Tons of Seawater above them? Is not the Air they are breathing also presurized resulting in a quicker absorbstion of Nitrogen? On a emergency assent or surfacing, why dont they all suffer from the bends? I know its not a scuba question, but I was sure someone on here could answer this.

Submarines are kept at one atmosphere internal pressure. They have a pressure hull that "holds the water back."

The air in the sub is at 1 ATA.

I think we can close the thread now.

Thalassamania:
I think we can close the thread now.

But now that the serious part of the question has been answered, can't we start a thread hijack and make fun of bubbleheads and submarines in general???

Hello readers:

As was mentioned, the submarine has a pressure hull.

However, in the film The Deep, they were pressurized, since they had a direct connection with the sea. It was though this that they would launch the submarines.

In the film, there was no effect of the air on the voice. This is good since, in reality, it would have made speech unintelligible. It is easier to leave that aspect out of the film. :eyebrow:

It is similar to null gravity in space films. They just pretend that they have artificial gravity. In the form shown in films, such is not possible.

Dr Deco :doctor:

UWupnorth:
The air in the sub is at 1 ATA.

Same thing happned when we travel on an airplane, but then may I add a question?
I think all of us have experienced air pressure change (pressure at our ears etc) when we are travelling on an aircraft, so my question is, how well do they keep that 1 ATA (or Atm, another convention) within the sub and on an aircraft?

alo100:
Same thing happned when we travel on an airplane, but then may I add a question?
I think all of us have experienced air pressure change (pressure at our ears etc) when we are travelling on an aircraft, so my question is, how well do they keep that 1 ATA (or Atm, another convention) within the sub and on an aircraft?.
Actually they don't in airplanes. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom