DCS hit during final stop? Has it ever happened?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My PFO was big enough to get a little finger thru according to the surgeon that plugged it.

My hits were mainly neuro often involved aura but I've never had a migraine with or without aura in my life.

I'd dived on an off for 25 years before it got me, few warning signs that I misinterpreted but skin bends and lack of vision gave it away eventually.

Never got symptoms in water AFAIK, tough to check for a skin bend in a drysuit at 6m.

Thanks for all the replys everyone! It makes really interesting reading to hear about real situations, occuring to real divers on real dives! With deco it's often easy to just "do the math" so to speak and forget, or perhaps simply de-emphase the human elements, but as this thread shows, those elements are as critical as anything else!

I tried to post an article before, but the link went to a site that had copied it with such bad formatting that it was barely readable. I tried again to send it to the correct site, but the site was screwed up. It has now been repaired.

Evolving Thought on Deep Decompression Stops

I got tagged a few pages back and will throw my .02 on the fire.

I got the first symptoms of being bent while at 100', did not recognize as DCS and continued deco stops to 50' where my legs became paralyzed, went back down to 100' and legs started to work again, began a new deco profile to ascend, got out symptom free and within 15 minutes was walking like a drunken sailor, went to ER followed by hyperbaric chamber for 6 rides.

Yes you can get bent while still at depth.

I got tagged a few pages back and will throw my .02 on the fire.

I got the first symptoms of being bent while at 100', did not recognize as DCS and continued deco stops to 50' where my legs became paralyzed, went back down to 100' and legs started to work again, began a new deco profile to ascend, got out symptom free and within 15 minutes was walking like a drunken sailor, went to ER followed by hyperbaric chamber for 6 rides.

Yes you can get bent while still at depth.
You did not mention your maximum depth. I don't remember it exactly, so I will leave it to you.

below 600'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom