DCS cure using pure02 or Nitrox mix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The real question to me is: how much good will a stop at 5m do versus the safety of the boat? In case of emergency I would opt getting the diver on the boat asap administering pure O2 in a steady enviroment, in stead of breathing pure O2 at 5m with a lot of stress and danger. A trained diver doing a controlled ascent with 100% O2 is very different from this case. And after all, it's just 0,5 bar difference. Even if he can hold that stop exactly, it's not much extra pressure difference.

AJ:
The real question to me is: how much good will a stop at 5m do versus the safety of the boat?.

Probably a lot.

Maintaining a higher ambient pressure limits bubble growth. During that time, the bubbles... and the tissues desaturate.

O2 on the boat doesn't limit bubble growth. It helps accelerate desaturation... yes.... but that might not be enough to stop bubbles growing to symptomatic sizes first.

Simple... DO. THE. DECO.

Nice if you can pad it with O2 or nitrox (emergency deco), but nothing replaces the hang time. Respect the M-Value ceiling..

Let's remember... plenty of (deco trained) divers do planned air decompression. They don't just decide to say 'f#(k it', hop back on the boat and toot some oxygen...

Dive computers will tell you what emergency deco obligation is. Do it. Do it longer... why not? Not enough gas? If there's options for more... get it. If there's nitrox, use it. Just pay BIG RESPECT to toxicity issues... especially with 100%, where MOD is a slight depth below your stop.

If gas is available to complete decompression, there's simply no logical reason to skip that deco. O2 on the boat is TREATMENT, not decompression. Seems illogical to treat something you'd needn't have suffered in the first place.

Probably a lot.
In case of the diver (and the support team) being calm, totally agree. A diver panicking or on the verge of panicking, don't think so. In this hypothetical case many things have gone wrong. How calm do you think this no deco trained diver, barely making it to the surface, would be? In this case I would probably opt for the safety of the deck and 100% O2, maybe rushing to the shore/deco chamber if signs of DCS occur. On the other hand, if the diver is very calm, in control and shows no signs of DCS I would opt for a long deco at 5m. As long as there is air available.

It's a judgement call if the risk of staying down is greater than the good it will do. Just remember, discussing what is theoretically the right thing to do is easy, acting on a real diving incident is something very different.

I agree with DevonDiver. You are much better off doing the deco.

If you are diving with a computer, that computer will be telling you how much deco you have to do. Do it! If you do the deco in the water as the computer recommends, you are unlikely to need any more help once on the boat. If you get on the boat before the computer says you are good to go up, then you may need all the emergency help you can get.

If your computer thinks you are on air and you are really on nitrox or O2 during that deco, you will not have a clear idea of what you have to do. It may also be true that you have no idea what your computer is telling you because you never checked the manual to see how it handles emergency decompression. It may even be true that you are diving tables and can't remember the emergency decompression procedures called for in your tables. In the first case, try to come at least close to what the computer calls for no air, just to be safe. In the second and third cases, do all you can to stay at that depth before surfacing, or until someone with more knowledge than you tells you that it is OK to go to the surface.

It really is quite simple.

Have a drop tank of oxygen and a buoy rigged with line so that the tank hangs at exactly 5m.

If the diver is panicky and you offer them the tank and they refuse and head for the surface then you can haul it in quickly and give them the O2 to breath on the boat.

If the diver is calm enough to take the oxygen at 5m then, because you've rigged it with 5m of line, they cannot descend below the MOD whilst still breathing it.

In water decompression before symptoms develop and preventing them from doing so is always better than being on the surface hoping symptoms don't develop or attempting to treat symptoms if they do appear. Note I say in water decompression and NOT in water recompression which is a whole different thing.

... First: DCS prevention is questionable either way but perhaps one should think of DCS risk reduction. Since we don't know what causes DCS definitively, we cannot talk about pure DCS prevention. Bubbles alone do NOT cause DCS and there are multiple scientific studies that indicate that...

Question: Are you aware of any documented cases of a diver with DCS symptoms and undetectable bubbles using Doppler instruments? (Sincere question, not intended to be confrontational or snarky)

To reinforce your statement, there are also many identified and unidentified human variables. The only reliable and absolute DCS prevention is stay at sea level (people can also be bent in unpressurized aircraft).

Maybe some of this will help the OP and some other readers: It is difficult to believe that bubbles never play any role in DCS, at least in severe DCS cases. Doppler studies actually show blocked vessels and autopsies show dead tissue. Like everything in medicine though, I also don't believe that the simple physics of bubble formation is the only bad actor. DCS may not always be the result of blocked blood flow due to bubbles, but it is caused by gas being released from tissues more rapidly than the body can accommodate. That in turn may cause physiological responses that produce symptoms long before compromised circulation has an impact. Here is an interesting and related article written for divers.

Alert Diver | The Quest for DCS Biomarkers

As complex as poorly understood as DCS is, there is a vast body of evidence that hyperbaric treatment administered in a timely manner is very effective. On a functional level, treatment is pretty simple. Maximize PPO2, which necessitates being under pressure, even breathing pure O2. Increasing the PPO2 from 0.21 to 1.0 ATA by breathing Oxygen on deck has demonstrated benefits, but a much lower efficacy than 2-3 ATA. There's not much data above 3.0 ATA due to complications of Oxygen Toxicity.

The effect of pressurizing not only increases the PPO2, it reduces the rate that absorbed biologically inert gas comes out of tissues (typically Nitrogen and/or Helium). I chose this wording because Nitrogen is not one of the inert gases in the Periodic Table. In severe cases, pressurizing also compresses physical bubbles that are compromising blood flow.

Typical treatments for the vast majority of DCS incidents involves breathing pure O2 at 60' in a chamber (2.8 PPO2). "Most" of the time, 60' is deep enough to achieve symptom relief when administered within short time after surfacing (within an hour or two). There are treatment tables that take the diver deeper, but most are limited to breathing air. The problem there is that the diver can actually start to take on Nitrogen instead of giving it off, at least in the faster tissues.

More sophisticated treatment chambers can administer high PPO2 (like 2.5 to 3 ATA) treatment gasses at any depth that provides symptom relief, but that depth is almost always significantly shallower than the max depth of the dive.

Reinforcing that DCS is a risk management game rather than one of prevention, this article may be helpful to understand the concepts. It is also written for divers rather than hyperbaric medical professionals.

Alert Diver | Gradient Factors

The principals used in DCS treatment also apply to DCS risk reduction. The body absorbs less inert gas on a richer mix, say 32% Nitrox compared to air. Therefore there is less insert gas for tissues to release. Optimizing decompression starts to get really complex when you consider how different tissues absorb and release gas at different rates. Depending of the dive profile, you can have some tissues still absorbing gas while others are releasing. Further, different diluent gases absorb and release at different rates.

Last edited:
AJ:
It's a judgement call if the risk of staying down is greater than the good it will do.

No, it isn't. That's the issue with decompression, it's not optional.

The first thing ALL divers should understand about decompression is that it is absolutely mandatory.

This is why technical diving training is so challenging. The simple fact exists that the diver MUST do their deco... thus needs to be mentally, physically equipped to handle all possible contingencies without recourse to surfacing.

Recreational divers don't have that training (and testing!), which is why it remains imperative they stay out of decompression obligation.

Those that elect, through ignorance, arrogance or incompetence, to put themselves in that situation unprepared... have to only remember the seriousness of their situation and find the mental discipline to preserve their life and health.

AJ:
Just remember, discussing what is theoretically the right thing to do is easy, acting on a real diving incident is something very different.

I remember... I teach decompression diving as a professional, full-time career.

None of that, however, changes the fact that surfacing from a dive inadequately desaturated puts the diver at serious risk, or certainty, of agonizing injury, paralysis or death.

Succumbing to panic or fear, as you suggest, is one of those counter-intuitive responses that kills or injures divers.

There's nothing hypothetical about it.

... The first thing ALL divers should understand about decompression is that it is absolutely mandatory...

That's a bit of an overstatement. You always have the option take a chamber ride if you are really lucky, trade your fins for a colostomy bag and wheelchair, spend the rest of your near-vegetative life counting ceiling tiles in a convalescent home, or have the ultimate satisfaction of being permanently stricken from the tax rolls. :wink:

Maybe it's just me, but I have always preferred your option by a wide margin. That's also why I think most of you "tech" guys are nuts for making long and complex multi-gas decompression dives without a chamber onboard or, at the very least, a very short chopper ride away. Just because you do the decompression does not mean you won't get bent.

I know many not so young or healthy divers who are diving 90/90's. I also know that staying way below the M-value is not safer, either. I know that crossing the M-value does not necessarily kill you. Show me the study that says that diving a 30/70's is any safer. If you believe bubble scores, then you also have to admit that most divers bubble but don't bent. This is a very sensitive topic and has been vehemently discussed on other forums. It is a complicated topic and as our understanding of DCS grows, it gets even more complicated. Being able to apply GF's intelligently is not something currently taught in most decompression classes of the various agencies. It's a problem.

Well, the fact that you know people diving 90/90 doesn't really mean that it's safe or dangerous... The fact is that with any reasonable decompression strategy (pure Buhlmann, GF or bubble model), the incidence of DCS is very low. That's the precise reason why it is so hard to do a scientifically rigorous study (i.e. a double blinded randomized trial) of the various approaches. With a low incidence, you need a very large n (total number of study subjects) to demonstrate a statistically significant difference with a single variable (let alone a more complex situation with multiple variables, like diving).

To generate that study, you would need to enroll a large number of people who were technical divers that you could separate into cohorts matched for many of the other variables (age, conditioning, training, weight, etc..), and then convince an IRB that it was ethical to randomize people into the control arm of the study (GF 99/99), and then have them do enough dives to see if there was a difference in the very low DCS rate.

It's true that most divers bubble but most don't get bent. But you need to be honest about what "most" means. 95% certainly seems like "most" in common usage, but if you have an algorithm that results in avoiding DCS in 95% of divers, that would not be acceptable.

Decompression research and the ongoing honing of the models that we use as divers is all about reducing overall risk, even though there is a large amount of variability in personal factors beyond the profile that has a huge effect on why some people do aggressive profiles and are fine, and other people get bent with less decompression stress. Since many of those factors are beyond our control (like age and genetics), or beyond our will to control (like weight or conditioning), it's advisable to limit decompression stress by staying further from the M-value line, rather than just assuming that as long as you don't cross the line, you are OK.

So the answer is that we really don't apply GFs "intelligently" - that would require a more thorough understanding of our individual personal factors that we don't have. What we do is make reasonable choices based on our past experience and our personal risk tolerance.

And while you are correct that there is a lot more to who gets clinical DCS than just who bubbles, increasing overpressure gradients and overall decompression stress does seem to correlate with injury, so it makes sense to not run that decompression stress to very high levels if possible. Which is what GFs do.

I think there is some evidence that divers with clotting disorders are more prone to DCS. I suspect that the nitrogen bubbles somehow cause an inflammatory response and clotting cascade activation.I know they are more prone to avascular necrosis of the bones. Of course we also know that PFO makes the diver higher risk.
I think the problem with this hypothetical discussion is that the diver who accidently outs themselves into deco is a poor candidate for emergency in-water decompression. They would have no idea how much a few minutes of going into deco would add to their stop and would be highly unlikely to have the air,much less nitrox or oxygen readily available, not to mention the skills to hold a long stop. Let's not even begin to discuss the fact that they will probably not have the presence of mind to do this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom