DCS and Hydration...how much H2O is enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Reading about the recent DCS incident in Cozumel has had me thining about hydration.

I used to do a lot of high altitude trekking. Opposite scenario, but the same is true that water offers some prophylaxis against the various ailments which fall under the label of altitude sickness. The mountain medicine rule of thumb rule of thumb was if you could see any color in your urine, you needed more water.

I don't know exaclty how much I drink when I dive, but I just naturally follow this guideline when diving. When I am about to dive, I also try to drink enough water that I have to "go" every 30 minutes or less.

Any other thoughts or experience on how to know when you are in the "green zone" for hydration?

Well there's that "eight large glasses a day" figure that's tossed around all over the place. A more amusing quote I try to live by is "clear pee is happy pee."

More useful advice (what I and most others do) is down a glass of gatorade or water right before gearing up. If we're thirsty, we drink more.

My pee is happy!

Bottled water is a no-no for me, as it's usually "distilled quality" from reverse osmosis - what I call "empty water." Do Gatorade, one of the other sport drinks, or - my favorite: Kool-aid made with half as much sugar as directed, plus 1/2 teaspoon of Morton Lite Salt for sodium and potassium, "electrolytes."

Avoid caffinated drinks like coffee (once you get your morning started), tea and soft drinks - read the labels. I carry DeCaf coffee on the boat, as I like to drink warm liquids. Hot chocolate works, too.

And pee on the Safety Stop...

We have used the Guidance for Hydration for Years..in the ARMY..23 Years for Me..I have Seen more IV's than I care to admit. Take it from Me. You need to absorb alot of water...and all the time. I drink water regularly...Until it seeps out My pores. Drink, Drink, Drink, If Your not peeing clear. Don't Dive. It's an easy task too,,,Try it. :bigun2:

the problem most divers have is not drinking early enough.
Chugging a gallon of liquid on the boat ride out to the dive site is not as effective as starting to hydrate yourself the day before or earlier if you can.

archman:
More useful advice (what I and most others do) is down a glass of gatorade or water right before gearing up.

QUOTE]

In my trimix class it was discussed that electrolyte (gatorade-type) drinks have a short-term effect of increasing the extracellular fluid level while actually decreasing the intracellular level.

This creates a condition of dehydration at the cellular level which may be more critical for DCS purposes. Water was recommended as the preferred fluid for staying properly hydrated.

Too bad, I liked my Riptide Rush...

Your Right Cyklon,

Gatorad is not a fix...You need water....You want a Sports Drink...Save Your Money..I'm a Triathlete...I train with Water and My Sports Drink..TOP SECRET...but I'll tell You all..Water and Tah Dah...HONEY...try it.. Much better for You than sugar water-ade :2ar15smil

Team,

I agree, the way I understand it coffee, tea, soda, electrolyte replacements such as Gatorade, acidic juices, and alcohol are all dehydrators. They deceive you by satisfying your immediate thirst while robbing precious fluids from your system.

Drinking large amounts of Gatorade, and other drinks like it, undiluted, is probably one of the worst things you can do to yourself on a day of diving. Gatorade should be diluted, taken in tiny quantities, and used after short bursts of high energy activities, not guzzled down full strength after a very ‘strenuous’ interval of blowing bubbles underwater. Have you ever watched professional athletes drink it? they do so from a small paper cup. As divers, replacing large quantities of electrolytes (such as sodium) when we haven’t lost any in the first place, is bad for our system.

Fruit juices contain much sugar and stimulate the pancreas, caffeine stimulates the adrenal glands, alcohol is a toxin and a vasodilator, and soda contains much sodium among other dehydrating substances.

The International Sports Medicine Institute recommends you should drink 31cc of water per kilogram of body weight, which means 3.1 litres of water per day for a 100kg person. An athletic person should thus drink 4.4 litres per day for a 100kg person.

Drink plenty of water. Preventing dehydration is as easy as drinking 10 large glasses of water a day, whether you feel thirsty or not.

It has also been recommended that you drink 500ml of water before your dive, and 500ml after your dive to rehydrate that lost on a typical dive outing.

If you must drink alcohol, soda, or citrus juices during your dive vacation, try to balance it out by drinking extra glasses of water. If you absolutely hate water, then drink ‘meaty’ juices such as guava and pear, but realise that you can easily develop a taste for water as you begin drinking it instead of soda, juices, and coffee.

As others have mentioned: Observe your urine – it should be colourless. If it is dark yellow, orange, or brown, then you are very dehydrated and your kidneys are struggling, so you need to drink more water. Drink enough water and you will never experience dry mouth. You will stay awake between dives and you won’t need a nap before dinner. You will feel more energetic, happier, and healthier.

kind regards
Dennis

Back
Top Bottom