DCS and Hydration...how much H2O is enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Team,

On the same topic, here's some more interesting information on diuretics and dehydration:

Diuretics add to the dehydration that occurs with exercise from sweating, & insensible and respiratory water loss. The diver also has to take into consideration some additional concerns for fluid loss and replacement:

1. SCUBA cylinders have extremely dry air inside. As this air is taken into the lungs and saturated, nearly twice the normal amount of water is lost from the body.

2. Negative pressure breathing causes divers to loose about 350cc/hour from their circulating blood volume, a phenomenon called immersion diuresis and seen also in snorkelers and swimmers.

3. Cold inhibits anti diuretic hormones, causing peripheral vasoconstriction, driving fluid back into the core and stimulating diuresis resulting in losses of plasma volume.

4. The hypercarbia associated with diving decreases anti diuretic hormones, promoting fluid loss from the plasma volume.

5. Diuretics such as coffee, alcohol, tea, and fresh orange juice also contribute to fluid loss, contributing to pre-dive dehydration.

6. Khosla in 1979 found that there is a 4% heodilution in early immersion from ECF shift into the bloodstream, resulting in an increase in central blood volume. This alters stimulation of pressure and volume receptors, leading to further inhibition of ADH and fluid loss.

7. In addition to the above, the state of chronic hypovolemia and hypokalemia caused by oral diuretics are dangerous to divers by decreasing their susceptibility to decompression illness and cardiac arrhythmias respectively.

The importance of entering a dive well hydrated cannot be over stated. Prehydration of divers should include regular ingestion of fluids several hours before, 15 to 20 minutes before and between dives, particularly if multiple dives are to be made each day. The urine should be clear and copious.

Kind regards
Dennis

Hello Readers:

Many thanks to all of the replies. The standard answer given is too watch the color of urine. When urine has a color, it means that the kidneys are beginning to concentrate it, and it implies that the body is under hydrated.

In addition, many people spit into their mask as an anti-fogging remedy. If you do not have enough hydration to spit, then you definitely should NOT be diving. :11:

Dr Deco :doctor:

If you can't spit because you are dehydrated, as DrDeco says, don't dive.

If you are well hydrated but can't spit because of fear, Don't Dive!

If you were just eating crackers, that is a different story. If you throw up underwater you become very popular with the fish. :D

MonkSeal:
However, one sentence needs some comments: "Both hypotonic and isotonic drinks would be suitable for diving and contrary to popular belief, they are not dehydrating."

By definition anything isotonic or hypotonic cannot be dehydrating... that would violate the Law of Diffusion. You're just not going to RE-hydrate downing something isotonic, that's all.

Where does the article refer to such fluids as being "contrary to popular belief?"

Here it is, in it's context.
There are primarily three different types of electrolyte drinks - hypertonic, hypotonic and isotonic. Hypertonic drinks are the most concentrated and are therefore absorbed more slowly than water. Hypotonic are the least concentrated and are absorbed faster than water. Isotonic drinks are balanced to suit the osmotic pressure of a solution in the body, and so absorb at the same rate as or faster than water. Fluid replacement drinks are either hypotonic or isotonic. They contain dilute solutions of sugar (carbohydrate) which encourages absorption of fluid into the blood via the small intestine. A hypotonic drink that works well as a rehydration remedy is 250mls fruit juice, 750mls water and ¼ teaspoon salt. A recipe for an isotonic drink would be a 50/50 mix of water and fruit juice with an optional ¼ teaspoon salt per litre. Both hypotonic and isotonic drinks would be suitable for diving and contrary to popular belief, they are not dehydrating.

So from this, the "popular belief" would refer to the uh, diving propaganda the previous posters on this thread wrote saying that fruit juices and gatorade are bad. Ha ha!

Or it will make me sick. This is when I need hydration, not just drinking it for s****and grins, but why spend money on a fancy drink when water is just as good?

In situations where I feel I can use the benefits of Gatorade I dilute it at least 3 to 1. Mostly I drink water, LOTS of water.

During an eight hour day working in central FL I will drink 2 to 3 gallons of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom