DC800 and strobe - travel case recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Souvy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just picked up the DC800 (VERY excited, it's a big improvement from my last camera which was sadly lost on a dive) and a single strobe. I'm going on a trip in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations regarding a case for travel.

I also had a question about the soft case that SeaLife offers (I think it's the SL946). Does it come with a foam insert, or is it just a soft sided case?

Thank you very much in advance.

I have the DC600 Elite set, which comes with its own bag and does have the foam inserts. The inserts are great and hopefully some will be made by SeaLife for your 800. In the meantime, you can go to a craft store and pick up a square of foam that will fit in the SL946 and use an electric knife to make your own cutouts. Lay out your equipment on it in the most efficient use of space, then draw around it to make your 2-d pattern. For the third dimension, you will have to wing it, but mine is not perfectly fitted to everything--the holes are all very squared off with flat sides and it seems to do a great job. The knife will cut thru foam like butter, so be careful. Make sure to leave some foam on the bottom, so that your equipment can absorb shock from both sides. Maybe there's a pic of the inside of the one I have on SeaLife's web page. I use the extra little square holes for batteries, charger, cleaning kit, moisture munchers, etc. I labeled my cords and store them with the manuals in the zipper pouches. The outside zipper on mine was a little stiff, but I think a little wax will fix that right up! Hope this was helpful!

Thanks so much for the help Denise and Mrs Fic, I think that a trip to the craft store may be in order :) I think an insert and the SL946 case might be just what I need. Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom