DC800 - 1 or 2 strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ks18

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a DC800 with no strobes currently. Should I buy 1 or 2 strobes? Does adding an additional strobe make a big difference?
The strobes I would be getting would be the SL960D.

Thanks.

I have 2 SL960D strobes I want to sell. 225$can plus delivery. They come with the yellow carrycase. I used them on my 800 and 600 then went total to video with my Topdawg.
They are in mint condition and work really good. Should have two, when i used one the shadow too much of a distraction in the pic quality. Two got rid of that. kev.

firstdive2005 please check your PM I want to talk to you about your strobes

1 strobe adds color back at depth within a distance range which depends on the depth and water clarity. A second strobe will allow you better light coverage eliminating many shadows that would be generated with a single light source. Also a second strobe allows you to concentrate more light on the subject, shoot shots covering a greater panorama or shoot at a greater distance.

Looking at guide numbers will give you a idea of the relative lighting power of a strobe but you also want to know the coverage angle since 2 strobes with the same guide # the unit with a wide angle of coverage is actually more powerful overall.

I use 2 matched strobes with a guide # of 12 these are relatively weak as external strobes but as a pair allows me to reduce or eliminate shadows and the 2 strobes together give me enough light to shoot the majority of subjects I've been interested in.

I now find I want to do more work with large creatures and wider more panoramic shots so I will need stronger strobes to light up a wider area at a greater distance from me.

Back
Top Bottom