DC1400 pics from Utila, Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you have some very nice pictures. when using a strobe, did you just use the automatic settings or did you tweak a few things? I just started using mine and my pictures are somewhat washed out.

Thanks. The auto setting does well in some situations, but yes, I often have to do some tweaking. Especially if taking a picture of anything on a sandy substrate (jawfish, gobys, stingray, etc). The white washes our VERY easily, so manual white balance is preferable if possible. Other than that, it just takes a little practice. After a while, depending on the distance from the subject, you'll know about what strobe strength to use. Take a shot, take a look at the LCD screen, adjust and shoot again and again until you have what you want. Strangely though, I've found that with macro and super macro shots, the auto setting does an outstanding job of getting it right. I added extensions to both of my strobes so I can position them directly on top of the lens (there's a thread on here regarding the extensions... I highly recommend them), pointing down directly in front or slightly out at the subject, and it gets it right most of the time.

thanks. going to the Philippines in two weeks and will have plenty of practice.

thanks. going to the Philippines in two weeks and will have plenty of practice.

Envious....I have a couple of diving friends there and haven't seen them for a while...have a great trip :)

I just ordered the SeaLife pro duo from my dive shop. And she even had the pink one which is the one I wanted! :) I plan to try it out at some local dives including a dive at Shaws Cove in Laguna Beach next week. That way when I diving in FL in Aug maybe Ill be used to it enough to at least get a few decent pics. Thanks for all the tips. I'm so excited. :)

I just ordered the SeaLife pro duo from my dive shop. And she even had the pink one which is the one I wanted! :) I plan to try it out at some local dives including a dive at Shaws Cove in Laguna Beach next week. That way when I diving in FL in Aug maybe Ill be used to it enough to at least get a few decent pics. Thanks for all the tips. I'm so excited. :)

Congrats! I've never used the video light, but hopefully it works out well for you. I'm still not sold on it for taking pictures with, and I just don't do much video at all. I like my dual strobes. I think $5 of the pink ones goes to breat cancer research or something. 1%?!? Come on Sealife, step it up!...lol.

Awesome photos! I have the DC1400 setup too, I agree about the dual strobes, and I'm not into video really either, but I actually added the Sealife video light as a third arm. I joke that it's my "sea monster" but I LOVE to night dive and the video strobe is an awesome focus light AND dive light. I believe it's 500 lumens. So that way I'm not fumbling with a dive light and my camera set up separately. It's all on one rig. The Sealife video light has a setting too where it will shut off for a second while your strobes fire when taking the photo. :D

Awesome photos! I have the DC1400 setup too, I agree about the dual strobes, and I'm not into video really either, but I actually added the Sealife video light as a third arm. I joke that it's my "sea monster" but I LOVE to night dive and the video strobe is an awesome focus light AND dive light. I believe it's 500 lumens. So that way I'm not fumbling with a dive light and my camera set up separately. It's all on one rig. The Sealife video light has a setting too where it will shut off for a second while your strobes fire when taking the photo. :D

Gotcha... Yeah, I can definitely see it being useful for that. I'm curious how you have a third arm and flash link rigged onto there though?...

The video light came with an additional bottom screw that allowed a third arm on this setup without having to get too creative. There is no flash link that needs to be added to the strobe flash links in front of the camera. Settings can be changed inside the head of the video light (after you remove the battery pack) to either stay on the whole time or shut off for a second when it senses the strobe going off. There's some other options too for video light settings but I dont remember needing them. Its all in the video manual. I don't use it much, but the head is removable (it's attached to the arm with a cord) to do more creative lighting. Here is a quick pic of my current setup:
photo.jpg

One of my friends uses the UK video light. You apparently can remove the rubber square insert on the top of the sealife camera and slide in a piece that will allow you to use one of the arm/joint/ball to attach to the uk video light. :)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 41
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 42
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom