DC1400 pics from Utila, Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pillpusher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here's a few of my pics from my recent trip to Utila with the DC1400.

PICT0075.jpgPICT0770.jpgPICT0708.jpgPICT0626.jpgPICT0550.jpgPICT0549.jpgPICT0491.jpgPICT0312.jpgPICT0261.jpgPICT0204.jpgPICT0164.jpgPICT0151.jpgPICT0078.jpgPICT0077.jpgPICT0816.jpg

Some excellent shooting there! :medal:

nice.

I'm considering getting the sealife 1400 but I'm a little concerned because a lot of the reviews I've read complain about poor picture quality due to a long shutter lag. I did try one once very briefly. My scuba instructor let me try her 1200 and all I got were blurry pictures of fish swimming away or blurry pictures of where the fish used to be. However at that time I was just learning to dive so poor buyuoncy control probably had a lot to do with it as well. I wanted to get an under water housing for my dslr but that's just way out of my price range for now. Your pictures are really good. Do you do anything special to cutdown on shutter lag?

I'm considering getting the sealife 1400 but I'm a little concerned because a lot of the reviews I've read complain about poor picture quality due to a long shutter lag. I did try one once very briefly. My scuba instructor let me try her 1200 and all I got were blurry pictures of fish swimming away or blurry pictures of where the fish used to be. However at that time I was just learning to dive so poor buyuoncy control probably had a lot to do with it as well. I wanted to get an under water housing for my dslr but that's just way out of my price range for now. Your pictures are really good. Do you do anything special to cutdown on shutter lag?

Thanks! The shorter the focal length setting, the longer it usually takes to focus and the longer the shutter lag. Unless I'm shooting in macro or super macro, I usually don't even notice it much. But, even in those cases, the subject usually isn't moving very much (nudi's, seahorses, squid, frogfish, scorpionfish, etc). I've gotten some great shots of other small moving fish in macro mode, but it can take several attempts to catch them in perfect focus if they are moving around a lot. For example, I've had a ton of difficulty getting a good shot of a juvenile trunkfish due to the shutter lag in macro (they are cute, but they sure do bounce around a lot!). But other than that, I haven't had too many issues. When it's set to infinity though, there is very little shutter lag. And, infinity usually works fine as long as the subject is more than a few feet away.

Also, I tend to shoot a lot more pics of stationary subjects than quick moving little fish. Those tend to make for better pictures regardless of what camera you are using anyway. Bigger critters that are on the move (sharks, rays, etc) are best shot in infinity, and most everything else shouldn't be too difficult to keep in frame and in focus. At this price point level, I don't think there is anything else out there comparable to the Sealife setup. Besides, I'm not looking to make the cover of National Geographic... I just want to come away from a trip with plenty of "good" quality shots while still being able to casually enjoy my dive without lugging around a huge camera housing. For more examples, here is my Smugmug page: All of the dive photos were taken with Sealife cameras.
pillpusher's Photos | SmugMug

HTH, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Nice Turtle shots...:)

I checked out your smugmug page and your pictures are amazing. I'm hoping to do a big trip later this year and Bonaire is one of the places I'm considering. However I've been trying to get an idea on the cost of flights and I can't seem to find any flights going directly into Bonaire. When you went did you fly into Bonaire or did you have to fly in somewhere else and take a boat over? Also, I'll most likely be traveling alone. Do you think it is safe there for someone traveling alone? I was considering phuket Thailand but then I googled "is phuket Thailand safe" and decided against it. I still want to go there but definitely not by myself.

And thank you for the camera tips. Seeing your pictures makes me feel better about the sealife. :)

I checked out your smugmug page and your pictures are amazing. I'm hoping to do a big trip later this year and Bonaire is one of the places I'm considering. However I've been trying to get an idea on the cost of flights and I can't seem to find any flights going directly into Bonaire. When you went did you fly into Bonaire or did you have to fly in somewhere else and take a boat over? Also, I'll most likely be traveling alone. Do you think it is safe there for someone traveling alone? I was considering phuket Thailand but then I googled "is phuket Thailand safe" and decided against it. I still want to go there but definitely not by myself.

And thank you for the camera tips. Seeing your pictures makes me feel better about the sealife. :)

Thanks again. I try to make it down to Bonaire at least once a year. But I got married about a year ago, so now that vacations are twice as expensive, I'm only able to go on a couple dive trips per year...lol. We're going back to in a few weeks though. It's a great spot for macro life, and there is little to no current. And, the diving is very inexpensive there, comparatively. Dining out is a bit overpriced though. I especially like going there in September since it's outside of the hurricane belt. Some people fly to Curacao, then to Bonaire, but I prefer direct. United flies direct to Bonaire (BON) from Houston and Newark once or twice per week for about $600-$630 pp. The flights always depart Friday and Saturday nights at 11:59pm or something like that. The Friday night redeyes are great though since you can be in the water on Saturday and not waste a day of travel.

Bonaire is very safe, so no worries there. There is the occasional issue with items being stolen from rental trucks while at a shore dive site, but as long as you don't leave anything of value in your truck and leave it unlocked, it's not much of an issue. If you go to the Bonaire threads here on SB (ABC Islands), you'll find lots of suggestions for websites to go to meet dive buddies for your trip. I want to say that Bonairetalk is the name of the best one. But, depending on where you're staying, if you book a few dive boat dives, I'm sure you'll meet some people to shore dives with in no time. Everyone there is very friendly. Oh, and if you go, be sure to book a couple of dives with the East Coast Diving guys... I do not exaggerate when I say that you will see no less than 15-20 turtles on one dive.

Back
Top Bottom