DC1200 with out external flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mx36

Reaction score
Hi I am new to diving and am looking at getting a camera. I was wanting to get the DC1200 but am curious as to how well it takes photos without the external flash? The wife isn't to crazy about me spending the extra money on the external flash. Does anyone have pics taken without the external flash?

Thanks

A external flash is not a neccesity. And it can always be added later. I shoot mostly available light with my DC-10, no external flash and the built-in is pretty weak. I get some good pictures, some throw aways. I think many of the latter are due to my skill level and a external light wouldn't help much.

The strobe makes all the difference. Yes, you can add it later, but you will be frustrated with all except the shallow photos in bright sunlight in clear water photos until you add the strobe.

theskull

I just got my camera before my vacation. On my second dive, the batteries in the flash went dead. I changed the settings on the camera and still got some good pictures. I did have to change a couple of times before I was happy, but that is the nice thing about the preview feature on a digital camera. This dive was in 35-50' fresh water w/ visibility of approx 40' on a partly sunny day.
I wouldn't use the built in flash as you are likely to get large amounts of "backscatter" since the flash is so close to the lense. If you want pictures that show lots of color, then you should definately get the external strobe.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom