Dc1000! SeaLife's New Camera!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So went to my local LDS and was told that Sealife was coming out with a new 10mp camera. Went online when I got back from my dive and look whats been posted on SeaLife's website: SeaLife Cameras - Underwater Digital Camera - DC1000

So... I've been saving up for a Dc800 and can get it for 399.99 from my local LDS. I'm guessing the Dc1000 will probably be somewhere around 549.99 "Dc800's original release price". So what do you guy's think about the new specs? Is it worth the extra dough for the Dc1000. When comparing the two's specs, they seem to be pretty similar. :confused:

Last edited:
Yawn.

The difference is that it will accept their semi--so called--wide angle lens which should yield an underwater FOV of about 60 degrees. Hardly wide angle but better than nothing and according to their web page the DC800 will not, so they say.

N

I don't know why you ask if it is worth the price difference... You don't know what the price is... Why don't you wait and see what the price is before jumping?

It seems nemrod doesn't own or use a SeaLife camera... He seems bored with it all

Yawn.

The difference is that it will accept their semi--so called--wide angle lens which should yield an underwater FOV of about 60 degrees. Hardly wide angle but better than nothing and according to their web page the DC800 will not, so they say.

N
Where did you find that it excepts their wide angle lens? There's also some other "if only minor" differences. The resolution and shooting distance has been slightly increased and now there is different modes which compensate more accurately for color corrections at depth / shallows. Also there is an easy automated setup mode to make "setting the proper settings for your environment" easier.
I don't know why you ask if it is worth the price difference... You don't know what the price is... Why don't you wait and see what the price is before jumping?

It seems nemrod doesn't own or use a SeaLife camera... He seems bored with it all

I can't see them selling the Dc1000 for more then the original price of the Dc800 "549.99". If they do... its going to be a HARD sell. The camera just doesn't seem that different then it predecessor. With that in mind, I think we have enough specs to compare the two.:wink:

Last edited:
They say on there website that it has an optional wide angle lens. I wonder if it would fit on the 800 and would the housing be the same also.(Upgrading camera only) hmmm

They say on there website that it has an optional wide angle lens. I wonder if it would fit on the 800 and would the housing be the same also.(Upgrading camera only) hmmm

The housing looks identical... so upgrading just the camera itself should work. I wonder if SeaLifeJoe could confirm this.

The housing looks identical... so upgrading just the camera itself should work. I wonder if SeaLifeJoe could confirm this.

You are right, I also wonder about the wide angle lens?
Paging sealife joe.

Where did you find that it excepts their wide angle lens? There's also some other "if only minor" differences. The resolution and shooting distance has been slightly increased and now there is different modes which compensate more accurately for color corrections at depth / shallows. Also there is an easy automated setup mode to make "setting the proper settings for your environment" easier.

I can't see them selling the Dc1000 for more then the original price of the Dc800 "549.99". If they do... its going to be a HARD sell. The camera just doesn't seem that different then it predecessor. With that in mind, I think we have enough specs to compare the two.:wink:

I read everything and I read this:

Plus 11 Land modes Automatically pre-sets the camera for the type of scene. Includes Anti-shake and aperture/shutter priority.

Expandability with SeaLife wide angle lens (SL970) and up to two Digital Pro Flashes (SL961)

Removable inner camera for use on Land & Sea
___________________________________________________________________---

And then I read this concerning the wide angle lens:

SL970 24mm wide-angle lens

IMPORTANT: The SL970 Wide Angle Lens fits all SeaLife camera BUT the DC800(SL180) , ReefMaster Mini (SL320) and ECOshot (SL321) cameras. The DC800 has a built in wide angle lens (28mm film equivalent). Although the Wide Angle Lens will fit onto the DC800, the pictures will vignette. The ReefMaster Mini and ECOshot cameras works with the Mini Wide Angle lens SL973.

N

Digital technology is a pain in the wallet. I just upgraded from the DC 600 to the 800 and now they come out with the 1000. I really like the 800, so I guess I'll just go with it for a while.

Every time I get something I like, somebody comes out with something faster, neater, quicker, slicker, cleaner, greener, etc, etc.

Maybe I should have just stayed with my old Nikonos. It took great shots.

:sigh_2:

Digital technology is a pain in the wallet. I just upgraded from the DC 600 to the 800 and now they come out with the 1000.

I know your pain. I've had to deal with similar encounters too. My 07 Vw got a substantial boost in Horespower and Torque for the 08's, which came out a month after I purchased the vehicle. I bought a brand new Xp based Pc in early 07 with all the bells and whistles and a couple months later Dx10 3d cards / Vista came out and my 2500$ PC is now OBSOLETE. I've done this countless times.. No matter what anyone does... Consumer Products are always going to be getting better and better.. We just need to be happy for what we have and block out all the media blasting of the latest greatest doo-dads.
Sorry for being:eek:fftopic:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom