DC ring glove installation tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For installing the gloves onto the ring just use 2 A clamps... not too hard once you get the hang of it... but boy it was tought trying to figure it out the first time.

Done!!! OK, so it wasn't 9 minutes in the back of a truck, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I feared. If I had to do it again I could probably do it in 1/3 of the time. On the first ring I accidentally put the o-ring on the second groove instead of the third, and it took me a while to figure out how to get it off there without tearing the seal. Once I got it apart it went together the second time beautifully. The second wrist I ended up doing three times in order to get the same amount of wrist seal sticking out past the ring as on the other arm. I found that with more wrist seal sticking out past the ring it's easier it is to get your hand through the seal- within reason. If the ring is too far down toward the suit end of the seal the second o-ring that sits on the outside won't sit securely in the groove. So, after some trial and error and putting on and taking off rings I've got them installed and am very happy with the job. Now I just need to get out and dive... with warm hands!

Ben_ca:
For installing the gloves onto the ring just use 2 A clamps... not too hard once you get the hang of it... but boy it was tought trying to figure it out the first time.

Can you explain how you do this? The link below explains how to do it with the DC tool or a copy of it made of some PVC pipe, but I can't fathom how to do it without the tool.

http://www.bayareadivers.net/wb416/reports/dcdryglovetool.shtm

LG Diver:
Can you explain how you do this? The link below explains how to do it with the DC tool or a copy of it made of some PVC pipe, but I can't fathom how to do it without the tool.

Somewhere on SB. With a tool made from the CAP of 4" PVC (not the actualy pipe.. .its too small) and a small piece of duct tape, you can do it all by yourself. You just need to make a couple of mods to the tool.

Like rounding the edges and cutting a small groove in the center so the O-ring doesn't slip off. I've replaced many sets of gloves on the rings with the KennyTool - its a snap.

Good job on the ring install. Its a little wacky to work inside out and backwards, but once you get in the groove, its cake.

The key is leaving lots o' seal for a proper wrist fit - its way too tough to doff the wrists when there isn't too little seal.

You will never dive wet hands again. They so rule. You will also notice your feet are warmer (HBDiveToes now only dives with one pair of sox...!) This is known as the Uncle Pug Principal: Dry Gloves = Warmer Feets.

Enjoy!

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Somewhere on SB. With a tool made from the CAP of 4" PVC (not the actualy pipe.. .its too small) and a small piece of duct tape, you can do it all by yourself. You just need to make a couple of mods to the tool.

Like rounding the edges and cutting a small groove in the center so the O-ring doesn't slip off. I've replaced many sets of gloves on the rings with the KennyTool - its a snap.

Good job on the ring install. Its a little wacky to work inside out and backwards, but once you get in the groove, its cake.

The key is leaving lots o' seal for a proper wrist fit - its way too tough to doff the wrists when there isn't too little seal.

You will never dive wet hands again. They so rule. You will also notice your feet are warmer (HBDiveToes now only dives with one pair of sox...!) This is known as the Uncle Pug Principal: Dry Gloves = Warmer Feets.

Enjoy!

---
Ken

Hi Ken,

Yeah, I've seen the thread about the tool out of a PVC cap, but I got the impression that Ben can do it with no tool.

My overall strategy in going to a drysuit is overkill on the extremities. In addition to the drygloves I've gone with 400g thinsulate booties and a custom fit Otter Bay 12mm neoprene hood. I figure if the extremities don't get as chilled the core won't have to work as hard to warm them so I can hopefully get a way with a heavy fleece undergarment (USIA Superstretch) instread of Thinsulate. We'll see if my theory holds up. Thanks again for all the tips.

-John

LG Diver:

Tools: 2 A clamps
I was referring to installing the gloves onto the rings.... Hint: Buy replacement gloves from fisherman supply stores... a LOT cheaper than the LDS

Start by folding the glove under the ring and then clamp with A clamp....

install second clamp about a 1/4 the way down

Keep working ring into groove with and moving the clamps....

Don't try to flip the fold over the ring like a bike tire... but it's more of a rolling motion over the lip and into the groove

BTW John was that you at Lobos Sat morning?

Thanks Ben. I'll definitely give that a try when the need arises (hopefully not any time soon).

No, unfortunately that wasn't me. How was it out there? It's been pretty murky all over lately.

Lobos... Surgey and a fuzzy 5 in the cove @30
Opened up to 20 ish at Hole in the wall... at Beto's reef at 100 FSW it was about 30 and no surge... a little cold but with 300G undies and dry gloves the 88 min dive wentby pretty fast :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom