DC gloves over DUI ZIP seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Piiki
Yup. I am hoping for someone to help.
I could not seem to get the info from DUI but after hearing both you and Camarone I am a bit further confused as it appears errors were made in one if not both suits to get the disparity between you if both were custom suits?. I even offered to send the rings and gloves to DUI. although I don't think they want to deal with someone else's product it would be great for them and purchasers of their suits who plan on putting on the DC rings to know precisely.
Bill

Bill - you're welcome. I had to learn the hard way by waiting for the whole suit to be remade. There's a thread about it here, in this forum, started by me, if you want the whole saga. Eventually, DUI called me and all was good and I got the product I tried to order in the first place. Their support has been top notch ever since I refused to deal with the local rep who didn't listen nor know his stuff very well (despite being in the biz a long time.) My suit is a clx450 signature series with the entire suit made from cordura.

That said, you can get the rings right up against the plastic strip/latex junction if you want. In fact, I would recommend it as it would be the most effective force transfer to the suit when doffing or donning the gloves. It can be a little tricky, though, so be patient. We all know how much of a PITA it is to install a DC system :)

To me, ending the trilam at the middle of the wristbone is too far even with wet hands. I don't need the latex taut there, but for max dexterity I want it a little more stretched and not "cupped under" when my arms are relaxed. That's two inches to me. YMMV

Camerone.
I read your other post. I am also a bit curious about whether to use the regular zip seals or the heavy duty as you have. I desire to have a bit of a water dam . I know that to make the 2 folds on the ring will take 3.5 in plus whatever is left over for the dam probably need another 3 minimum.
I think that the 2 inches will work for me on the cf200 and it although heavier will have a bit of stretch.

Camerone.
I read your other post. I am also a bit curious about whether to use the regular zip seals or the heavy duty as you have. I desire to have a bit of a water dam .
Use the standards if you want the interior dam. I prefer not having it - it's warmer and flooding from a prick in the glove has never been a big fear.

Use the standards if you want the interior dam. I prefer not having it - it's warmer and flooding from a prick in the glove has never been a big fear.

Have you compared the HD seals and the standards for longevity side by side?
I have heard the standards have short life spans in certain circumstances.
If i can get over my fear of suit flooding through losing a glove the extra warmth for my beaten up hands would be worth it for slowing my arthritis a bit as I age. I could probably wear a size smaller glove if the warmth factor is really noticeable. I have never had a catastrophic glove failure but I have had a suit flood when a hard mounted glove ring came part off a suit sleeve and I did not enjoy it.
Thanks again for the insight Camarone.
I would still like some definitive amount or feeling that taking the 2 inches off the sleeve is actually coming off a know and identified point.

Have you compared the HD seals and the standards for longevity side by side?
I have heard the standards have short life spans in certain circumstances.
I have not. The standard seal longevity did not impress me (12 months). My other suits - there are four I own total - get between two and three years before I replace seals, and I'm pretty proactive about maintaining them.

My heavy seals are only about six months old. They're looking good, though.

On the plus side, once you've got a set of zip seals, you can glue in new latex to the mating system quickly and reuse them a few times.

I have not. The standard seal longevity did not impress me (12 months). My other suits - there are four I own total - get between two and three years before I replace seals, and I'm pretty proactive about maintaining them.

My heavy seals are only about six months old. They're looking good, though.

On the plus side, once you've got a set of zip seals, you can glue in new latex to the mating system quickly and reuse them a few times.

Yea.
First thing I did was to look to see if I could bond my own seals on wrists. Looks easy! Now the zipseal neck redo may be another animal entirely to bond one in between the plastic well .
Not wanting to flog a dead horse but trying to define a point and get the information from someone who knows and understands. May I ask you where on your wrist (arms down and up avg.) with your custom suit did the sleeve bottom with latex zip seal on ,to the hand end of the plastic that the latex seal bonds too sit on your wrist bone at its base at the hand end of your wrist joint. what was your spine to wrist measurement also.
Sorry to be so definitive but I cannot help but wonder at the interpretation of spine to wrist base measurement by different people, some of whom are sending these measurements into DUI to be made into custom suits where the status quo is sure to be longer is better than shorter.
Go figure I am still a bit afraid to just say take 2 inches off.
I would like the end of the sleeve with the DC ring on the seal to end up at that hand side base of wrist bone place.
Thanks Bill

Special Thanks to DuiKathy and Pam at Dui for helping me on this suit and suit ring decision.
I am going to take the cautious way out and shorten suit by 1 inch for starters.
Just so everyone knows. When measuring for a DUI suit, the base of wrist in Spine to wrist means the hand side of your wrist bone.
I look forward to getting the new suit.
Thanks again Bill

Hi Bill,

Pam is super! Thanks for giving her a call. Send us a photo of you in your new suit.

Mmmm... I love that new drysuit smell:cool2:

Hi Bill,

Pam is super! Thanks for giving her a call. Send us a photo of you in your new suit.

Mmmm... I love that new drysuit smell:cool2:

Kathy.
Suit ordered. Ship date May 13. I will send pic when I get it wet.I understand DUI rep will be in Nanaimo around time I receive suit. I opted for 1.5 inch sleeve reduction after much measuring and checking .
Pam was great.
Thanks again. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom