DC dry gloves - with inner seal or without?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hepcat62

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all,

I WOULD post this in the exposure suits forum, but since I know a few of you use the Diving Concepts snap-on ring dry gloves, I figured I'd ask here for local advice.

I just received a pair of these as a gift, and I'm wondering whether you guys prefer to set them up with the inner seal or without. Any advice?

Hi Brian,

I just picked up a pair too and left the inner seal on.

Inner seal = redundancy = good (if a glove rips or leaks)

Also having both seals = more versitility. (If you want to switch to wet gloves for a dive or two - you can because the wrist seals still function)

If you leave both seals just make sure to put strings or tubes in the wrist seals so that air can flow to the gloves & equalize :).

Enjoy!

Brian,

The choice is really up to you. The redundancy is important and if there is a tear on the glove you have no water creeping in your forearm and flooding your suit.

Yes it takes more of an effort to get the arm through the latex seal and then a simple snap of the glove and you are ready for a dive.

When you dive without the seal the only benefit is easier equalization of the entire suit which now includes the glove.

The first thing you notice is that you can shift warm air to your hands since you have the entire opening, this is done very easy and feels toasty to the fingers.

I prefer the redundancy of the latex seal and use a small silicone tubes to equalize the suit.

Brain,

Have you dove the DC gloves yet? If so, what is your opinion?

Nope - I haven't dove them yet. I just got them today and got the gloves on the glove-side rings, so I figured I'd see what people thought before putting on the suit-side rings. I'm definitely looking forward to it though. :)

I have a set of DC gloves on my CLX-450 and I have the inner seals on the wrists. They are handy for days I don't want to wear the full dry glove system. To solve the equalization problem I have a loop of shock cord sewn to each sleeve of my undergarment. When I don the suit I loop each cord over my thumbs. This provides a small enough opening in the seal between glove and suit to equalize my gloves. Should I have a leak in a glove I can remove it, pop the cord off my thumb and the suit becomes sealed again.

Some folks use a small piece of tube to accomplish the same goal but that sounds awkward and like something I'd lose. The shock cord is always with me.

Some of the folks that I know use IV tubes to allow a path for air to flow between the seal. If you don't have access/know of any nurses/doctors, I've heard of people use thumb loops on their undies to ensure that there's a way for air to flow like Rich mentioned with shock cord.

If you have an obstruction compromising your latex seal, doesn't that defeat the leak redundancy it provides?

If you have an obstruction compromising your latex seal, doesn't that defeat the leak redundancy it provides?

I believe the idea is that you have something small and removable. So if the glove gets flooded not a lot of water is gonna get in (since the opening is small) and if you need to you could take the glove off and remove the tube and reform that seal.

Back
Top Bottom