DC-310 Reefmaster Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adam375

Reaction score
Considering getting a DC-310 Reefmaster underwater digital camera. Just wondering if anyone out there has purchased one, and if they did, what do they think of this camera?Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

I think it's good value for the money. It a nice entry level camera, but there aren't as many manual controls as some people like. You also pretty much need an external strobe and the macro lenses (3x,8x,16x). All the underwater pics in my gallery were taken with dc310 using macro lenses. You can probably find good deals on ebay or maybe here too if you don't mind buying used.

There are of course better cameras out there, so if you can afford one then go for it. I suggest you also do a search for "dc310" and read all the comments about this unit before buying one.

I've got a DC 310 camera and I like it. Most of the pics in my gallery were taken with it.

It takes good pics, but it isn't an "advanced" camera by any means. You'll also want to get the external strobe for it. The wide angle lens and macro lens are good to have also.

A few other notes. First off, this camera is not made anymore. It's been replaced by the DC500, which is 5.0 megapixel. The DC310 is 3.3 megapixel. So if your local dive shop is selling this as new, I hope it's at a great discount since they don't make it anymore. (I think they quit making these about a year ago).

There are better cameras out there, but if you want a simple digital point and shoot system to take vacation dive pics, it works good for that.

By the time though that I bought the camera with strobe, a SD memory card, a wide angle lens, 2 sets of AA NiMH batteries and smart charger, this still isn't a cheap camera.

hope that helps. got any questions PM me and I'll see if I can help.

I have a DC310 and all of the accessories. I have loved the camera and actually got better shots than my husband with his more expensive setup. I have just upgraded to the DC500 and can't wait to see how it does. The 2 big limiting factors of the DC310 is the lack of a zoom. You have to use the attachable 3x 8x and 16x lens and try to get the camera at the correct distance from your subject in order to get sharp focus. and 2) With 3.3 megapixels, you can't do a lot of cropping and enlarging without getting pixilated.
The best things about the Sealife is the size and the customer service behind the product. If you do buy the DC500, you can buy the Elite set which comes with the camera, housing, digital strobe, wide angle lens and lens dock. You do not need to buy the 3x, 8x and 16x lens, as they are not needed (or compatable) with the zoom. I would spring for an extra battery and travel charger too, as the battery on the camera will only make it through about 2 dives.
Whatever you decide, you will be much happier with some sort of strobe. It gives you color underwater that is filtered out by the water. Sometimes it is amazing to see the colors in the LCD that you miss with your eyes.

I have the DC 310 and it is a nice beginner's camera, I have about $300-400 invested and have all the extras, 3 macro lenses, 1 wide angle, strobe and difusser, battery charger with 8 batteries and a soft case.

I have a DC-310 and I'd say don't waste your money. There are too many flaws with the whole system.
-The white balance is horrible, it turns all your bright whites to pink, green or blue and software can't correct for it.
-The switches on the strobes are prone to busting.
-The battery life on the camera ain't great either.
I've tried to contact Sealife on several occassions and have got little to no help. Left phone messages for customer service and not once did they return my call. Conversing via E-mail or the phone with their staff was not helpful.

When faced with these choices I always rely on a friends advice, always buy the best that you can afford, odds are you won't be unhappy with your purchase in that case.

The DC-310 is cheap but if your serious about pictures you'll quickly outgrow this brand and by that time you'll have invested more than you'd care to in a mediocre (at best) system.

Heck, if that doesn't change your mind, I have a complete DC-310 system with all the lenses and two strobes I'll sell ya.

Mike S has some good examples in his gallery of the flaw in the white balance that I mentioned. The photo 'Molasses Reef' is the best example, the white background became pink. It also can be seen in "Nurse shark on Brody Reef", "Imag0208" and "Nassau Grouper". Notice how the bright whites have turned pinkish or bright pale blue. This occurs with land shots as well.
As I look through other galleries of the people who posted on this thread, I consistently see the same pinkish hue in many of the photos where there should be a nice clean white.
If I were the manufacturer, I would be horribly embarrased the DC-310 was even sold with these obvious problems.
Anyone ever have any luck resolving this issue with SeaLife?

micahjt:
Mike S has some good examples in his gallery of the flaw in the white balance that I mentioned. The photo 'Molasses Reef' is the best example, the white background became pink.
Anyone ever have any luck resolving this issue with SeaLife?

I've experienced it, but it's hardly been an issue for me. First, I turned the digital zoom off (my digital zoom pics turned pink), and second I cover the strobe partially with my hand to get the right amount of exposure for the pic. When my exposure and distance are right then there's never any pink in the pics. You can also play around with the white balance control.

micahjt:
Mike S has some good examples in his gallery of the flaw in the white balance that I mentioned. The photo 'Molasses Reef' is the best example, the white background became pink. It also can be seen in "Nurse shark on Brody Reef", "Imag0208" and "Nassau Grouper". Notice how the bright whites have turned pinkish or bright pale blue. This occurs with land shots as well.
As I look through other galleries of the people who posted on this thread, I consistently see the same pinkish hue in many of the photos where there should be a nice clean white.

The Nassau Grouper pic was actually taken with a Nikon Coolpix 4600 through the aquarium glass at the Atlantis Aquarium. Though it appears to be an underwater pic, it was taken though the glass, so that could account for some of the glare/oddness. The other land pics were taken with the coolpix also. Just wanted folks to know so the finger didn't get pointed at the wrong camera.

The rest of the underwater pics (besides the fake titanic one) were taken by the DC-310.

Thanks for the comment on letting me know about the white balance on a few of them like the Molasses Reef. I really didn't know why it had that white glaze look to it. makes sense now.

I had horrible problems with it on land recently where the sky and snow in most of the photos turned an ugly pink. The photos were taken in many different areas under different conditions so I know it wasn't just a unique situation. No stobe, no lenses....

The white balance control is unlike most cameras. You have to just guess at what setting would be best, it isn't metered to the circumstance as most cameras allow. I have a Kodak digital that I've used for years and have never had to touch the white balance, which tells me there is just something plain wrong with this camera.

Most of your photos appear to be at night or with a darker background they look fine. But you do have some good photos that would have been better with clean whites. The photo of the lionfish would have been great if it weren't for the fact it is sporting pink tips on the ends of the spines and the 2nd photo of your light, which is a land photo turned the foreground pink.

I have hundreds of photos with these ugly flaws....in many cases I was better off with my 35mm. Of course, now I have learned what I have to do to get decent shots but I shouldn't have to jump through those hoops in order to get the basics right. I've come to the conclusion that the software for this camera just stinks. As far as being a 'beginers' camera, I would think you would develop a bunch of habits that wouldn't be necessary with a better camera in hand.

I don't want to pick on people's photos or be overly negative but I would have rather invested my $ in something else at this point. I purchased the DC-310 less than a year ago and was really disappointed in the quality of the photos I've been getting.
Perhaps, it's just not doing what it is suppose to because it is in my ignorant hands. Which leads me to the next point >

The user manual for this camera is pretty poor in that it doesn't offer any suggestions for the settings. Why would you set something this way? In what conditions should the white balance be moved to what setting....
Had they written "Partially cover stobe with hand to limit exposure to avoid pink hue in your whites....etc...." I would have never bought the camera and I don't think anyone else would either.

Back
Top Bottom