DC-310 Reefmaster Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had horrible problems with it on land recently where the sky and snow in most of the photos turned an ugly pink. The photos were taken in many different areas under different conditions so I know it wasn't just a unique situation. No stobe, no lenses....

The white balance control is unlike most cameras. You have to just guess at what setting would be best, it isn't metered to the circumstance as most cameras allow. I have a Kodak digital that I've used for years and have never had to touch the white balance, which tells me there is just something plain wrong with this camera.

I've experienced it, but it's hardly been an issue for me. First, I turned the digital zoom off (my digital zoom pics turned pink), and second I cover the strobe partially with my hand to get the right amount of exposure for the pic. When my exposure and distance are right then there's never any pink in the pics. You can also play around with the white balance control.

Most of your photos appear to be at night or with a darker background they look fine. But you do have some good photos that would have been better with clean whites. The photo of the lionfish would have been great if it weren't for the fact it is sporting pink tips on the ends of the spines and the 2nd photo of your light, which is a land photo turned the foreground pink.

I have hundreds of photos with these ugly flaws....in many cases I was better off with my 35mm. Of course, now I have learned what I have to do to get decent shots but I shouldn't have to jump through those hoops in order to get the basics right. I've come to the conclusion that the software for this camera just stinks. As far as being a 'beginers' camera, I would think you would develop a bunch of habits that wouldn't be necessary with a better camera in hand.

I don't want to pick on people's photos or be overly negative but I would have rather invested my $ in something else at this point. I purchased the DC-310 less than a year ago and was really disappointed in the quality of the photos I've been getting.
Perhaps, it's just not doing what it is suppose to because it is in my ignorant hands. Which leads me to the next point >

The user manual for this camera is pretty poor in that it doesn't offer any suggestions for the settings. Why would you set something this way? In what conditions should the white balance be moved to what setting....
Had they written "Partially cover stobe with hand to limit exposure to avoid pink hue in your whites....etc...." I would have never bought the camera and I don't think anyone else would either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom