DC 1400=how to hold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coonie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK. Just throwing it out there. Don't laugh. Old guy just starting to dive. Recently purchased the DC 1400 with a strobe. As you look at the LED screen I mounted the strobe on the left. Worked realy nice keeping my right hand on the camera to operate shutter and other buttons and hold the actual strobe with the left hand. Decided to purchase a video light. So it is mounted on the right. Now I have trouble operating the shutter button and the other controls because my hand will fit all the way between the camera and the video light but because it is so close my thumb reaches to the center of the screen and really can't back off enough to work the controls. Suggestions?

Don't worry, I'm not laughing. I just purchased the dc1400 with flash and video light and I'm wondering the same thing. I haven't used it yet but as I was setting it up I noticed my hand doesn't fit so well in between the camera and flash "stem". My hands aren't that big and i dive in cold water so ill have to wear gloves which will make it even more difficult. But if I try holding it by the flash then my fingers aren't long enough to reach all the buttons. I'm going to use it for the first time this weekend so if I figure it out ill let you know. You may want to switch your lights around though. If you have the video light from sealife the head of it can be detached to hold in your hand and aim it, like a flashlight. It might be easier to have it on the left side so you can detach it and hold it with your left hand and still hold the camera with your right.

good idea on switching around. I drilled out the hole on the video light that you would use for a tripod or whatever. I used that hole to mount it to the camera. That opened the space up between the camera and the light about 1 1/2 inches. That helps.

I thought it was odd that they had that hole closed up like that. Unfortunately I'm not that handy with tools.

I have a DC800, similar problem. I just bend the arms on the video light in an arc giving me the room I need and hold onto the whole thing by the arm with the strobe. No problems here.

I found that when I added the second flash to my DC1400 it was hard to hold too. It was positively buoyant and it flexed a lot due to the added weight from the fisheye lens, GoPro and a BC weight, so I decided to upgrade and install it onto a tray.

IMG_0934.jpgIMG_0936.jpg

Tray - Ikelite w/ Dual Release Handles ($100)
Amazon.com: Ikelite Tray and Handle Asssembly with Dual Release Handles for Digital Camera Housings and Strobes - Lightweight: Camera & Photo
(2) Quick release adapters - Nocturnal Lights T-base Connector to mount the strobes to the tray ($60)
Buy and Review T-base Connector for Ikelite quick release handles

It's much more stable now, gives me several different options to hold it and should be pretty close to neutrally buoyant. The flashes are also detachable and the extension of the handle allows them to be positioned much better for macro shots.

PICT0053.jpgPICT0428.jpgPICT0464.jpg22111111PICT0415.jpgPICT0344.jpg
here are a few i took with my dc1400 --- getting better with practice. i would say right now about 1 out of 10 are really nice

If you are interested I have two of the Sealife extended length strobe arms I want to sell.
They are 4 inches longer then the stock ones.

New they are $89 each -- if someone offered me $100 for the pair I would take it.
Arms are in very good shape .. maybe only 10 dives on them.
(Upgraded my strobes to Sea & Sea so I don't need these arms)

Its really easy to change the arms -- One screw and its all external to the strobe -- if you can turn an allen wrench you can change the arms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom